waterproof work clothes

Old 03-18-12, 11:11 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
waterproof work clothes

maybe a strange question, but it's important to me.

I have major property re-vamp coming in April. will take me about a week of outside labor. vacation is already taken for this.

the way it goes here, it'll most likely rain non-stop, as usual. I still have to do the job, rain or not.

I am soliciting suggestion for a fair quality water proof clothes for this. Has to be readily available in local regular stores; has to be strong enough, as job will have to do with cinder blocks, and those are like sandpaper. SHOULD NOT CAUSE PERSPIRATION, I can not work in plastic sacks. Needs hood or some like it.

I tried some outfits from Walmart, they fall apart in hour or so. Plus, it's like working in a condom, soak sweat.

Oh, of course - reasonably priced.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-12, 01:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Best suggestion is to go to a sporting good store, such as Cabela's or Bass Pro, and look at the hunting/fishing rain gear. While you are still going to sweat a bit, items made with Gore-Tex or similar waterproof membranes will perform much better then standard PVC coated nylon. I have some camo rain gear that I have purchased quite a few years ago and they are still going strong. They are made of a thick nylon shell.

Another thought is to get a large pop up canopy. (10x10 or 12x12) I have done this when I am doing RTU change outs in the rain. Keeps the tools dry as well.

Old 03-18-12, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 19 Posts
Oh, of course - reasonably priced.
That's the kicker.
The most comfortable rain wear is not cheap and the more comfortable it is the further away it is from being able to survive bricklaying.
We were in the same boat when vacation planning two years ago and wound up seeing the sun for less than a day during a week in the woods!
Hiking, birdwatching and photography are great in the type of rain wear a motorcyclist would use but would not stand up to construction use.

You would do well with a heavy duty rubberized poncho that will breathe better than a full suit.
You could get away with a 3/4 length and just wear jeans and rubber boots.
The jeans will eventually get wet but you would be better off to just change into dry ones than to wear full body armor.

Old 03-18-12, 03:55 PM
Well, I said reasonably cheap. If it's seriously good clothes, I do not mind pay, but I like knowing what I'm paying for.
Though poncho idea is OK, I'd rather go for pants and jacket, as I can possibly use in some forest adventures later. I, also, have gravel pit in the forest, behind rear fence, and I SHALL be borrowing some pee gravel from there.
Canopy won't help, it's 600 sq feet area to work on. flowerbeds removal, re-grading, re-graveling, new flowerbeds in.

Old 03-18-12, 03:58 PM
and would you believe, I have grass covered since October, and it's still alive under plastic?

Old 03-18-12, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Well, I've ruined many a rain suit.
The heavier types that you would see construction workers wear might last and they do make colors other than yellow and orange!.
I personally have not seen the high tech comfortable types that will not easily tear if snagged.

Old 03-18-12, 04:17 PM
aha, so those orange ones are waterproof? had my sights on one for a while anyway. good to know. overall and jacket is about $120 if not less. good. can use it around car also, as my overall is beat up to death.

Old 03-18-12, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator
The black ones like that are pretty good.
All you'll need is a roll of black duct tape for mending!

There is a type that are referred to as "oilers".
I believe they are the type that come without a hood.

Old 03-18-12, 06:10 PM
I think I found it:
Walmart.com: Dickies - Men's Insulated Duck Hooded Rigid Jacket: Men
and it's local for sale; also has matching overall for about 40 bucks.

Might be a bit on the warm side, but I have Dickies overal - the one beat up - for 6 or 7 years, and I use it year long, just go for shorts underneath summer time. Perfect for working on cars and laying on the ground underneath them.

Thanks, guys. I'll also spray it with silicone spray, for double waterproofing.