Overseeding - How Early is Too Early?!?!?

Old 03-20-12, 06:05 AM
Overseeding - How Early is Too Early?!?!?

We've been enjoying the record warmth here in MA and apparently so has the plant life! Our grass is already starting to green up, flowers are starting to grow, and trees are starting to bud! Everything seems to me about a month ahead from normal.

Normally I plug aerate and over-seed in early May providing there is no threat of frost. It has me wondering though.....how early is too early? We have a couple of thin spots that I'd like to overseed this spring so they can get established by summer. The warm weather has me itching to work on the lawn!!!

The long term forecast has well above normal temps for the next 10 days. Around April 1st things begin to return "closer" to average with daytime highs in low 50's and nighttime lows in the mid 30's

Will I risk losing everything if I overseed now? Is there a particular variety of seed that germinates in cooler than normal temps and can survive a mild frost (If we even get one in April)?

Our average last frost is around April 30th, but this year is far from average.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-12, 05:51 PM
Our weather here in Ky is crazy hot too, 83 today. I went ahead and overseeded this week. I am going to allow my grass to stand extra tall at 3 inches until late April to help protect the new seedlings, if we do get any frost. I think we will be o.k. though, yet nothing is set in stone with this weather . . jmo

Old 03-21-12, 03:37 PM
Group Moderator
People have been known to throw seed on top of snow around here - it won't germinate until it's warm and the melting snow supposedly carries the seed down to the dirt.

As long as the seed can fully germinate once the process is started, you should be fine. There's a whole lot of time left where the weather can be awful here, so my paranoia isn't letting me seed yet.

Old 03-21-12, 07:19 PM
Group Moderator
I have dormant seeded a lawn in the past before. Put it down in November when everything is good and frozen, but no snow. Carried through the winter and when the warm weather hit, away it went.