Need help with lawn drainage

Old 03-29-12, 08:52 AM
Need help with lawn drainage

Hi,
I had a patio put in a few yrs ago and it has poor/no drainage. Long story but want to now work on getting better drainage put in.

Here's what it looks like:

I believe the rain is running down these steps and off to the right:

The path then runs to the left along here.

Also, on the other side, the patio drains into the lawn too:

I dont think there's a problem where the path runs in the middle. but definitely on both sides, the steps and the patio, my lawn has dirt patches and I cant keep grass there. And I believe its b/c of the water running down the hill and bad drainage.

Here's a view from the bottom with areas highlighting where I think the water is draining.

So I'd like to install some drains to take water down into the woods at the end of my lawn. Something like this?

Whats the best way to get started? at least I'm going to run a hose/spinkler over the two areas to see where the water's flowing.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-12, 09:05 AM
or also am finding both perforated PVC with holes in the top

or corrugated pipe with slits all around

These might be used to catch water across a broadcast area instead of a focused one?

Old 03-29-12, 09:26 AM
Group Moderator
I'd had a couple areas where growing grass was tough initially because of the water flowing through there but I diverted it with a couple boards until the grass came in and then everything was fine.

Old 03-29-12, 09:36 AM
ok thanks. by "boards" what do you mean?

Old 03-29-12, 10:07 AM
Group Moderator
A piece of wood

I laid a couple 1 x 4" boards I had lying in the garage on their side to divert the water away from the area where I was having trouble getting the grass to take.

Old 03-29-12, 11:07 AM
Thanks! LOL. I need something different. I already had established grass in place and the drainage turned it to mud in spots. I think I should've posted this in another forum (actually tried but I think it was deleted b/c of a dup). So please close this thread and I'll try reposting it in the patio forum.

thanks!

Old 03-29-12, 11:21 AM
Group Moderator
Your thread is fine here, please do not post again somewhere else.

Old 03-30-12, 07:55 AM
Thanks Ray. So you think this thread will receive the same viewers/expertise as in the Patio forum?

Old 03-30-12, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator
This isn't a patio issue, it's a lawn issue; just happens to have been created by a patio - a patio issue would be like you wanted to know which concrete to use to pour yours or whether you should use pavers or how should you finish the surface,....

I think you're in the right forum, you just have to keep in mind that the pros in these areas have day jobs and sometimes need a couple days to get here to see the questions.