Leaking Sprinkler System

Old 03-30-12, 05:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking Sprinkler System

I just turned my sprinkler system on last night and I am getting a constant leak in the configuration in the basement. I don't know too much about all of the valves and such, but I think I've got everything turned on/off properly. I took a video of it here because it's kind of hard to explain. Any ideas on what I can do? Is something broken that needs repair? Or do I just need to change a setting? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-12, 07:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
I think it's just a leaking valve. Try finding a brand and model for that valve so you can try locating replacement parts. There's probably a rubber gasket or diaphragm that needs replacing. I assume it's a check valve (and it might be a double check valve) to prevent water from the irrigation system back flowing into the drinking water supply. If you don't have any luck finding the manufacturer of the valve it may be easier to replace it (or just deal with the leak until it becomes unbearable).

The three other valves sticking up are not attached to anything and are capped off so the position of the valves does not matter. I think on that valve they are used to test the check valve's function for leaks.

The other valve you call "for back flow" looks like it's used to drain the water from the system to winterize. To use it you'd close the valve that's right after your leaking valve and has it's handle facing the wall which shuts off the water going out to your irrigation system. Then opening your "back flow" valve will let the water in the pipes outside drain down into your sump so they don't freeze.

Old 04-04-12, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
try this... turn on a zone manually at the controller and go down in the basement and turn the valve off going to the double checkand then back on several times it may just have a seating issue from debris ...rust scale lime scale, do this quickly so that there is a bit of a jarring action.. good luck