Sprinkler line question

Old 03-30-12, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Sprinkler line question

We have to move a couple sprinkler heads at our congregation, and guess who is in charge of that operation??? LOL

We've got 1" supply pipe which used to run 1 head, and we need to tee it, reduce it to 1/2" and run it to 2 separate heads. We are using barbed fittings that just push into the supply pipe.

My question is regarding the barbed fittings... is just pushing them into the pipe going to provide a tight enough connection that they won't leak? Or is there some sort of hose clamp that we need to apply as well?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-12, 05:19 PM
I would assume your using 1" poly pipe as the supply line. A lot of people do use hose clamps with the barbed fittings but it is not realy nessasary if the barbs are pushed in far enough.

Old 03-30-12, 05:48 PM
Group Moderator
ok thanks... yes, poly pipe. I think my problem in the past has arisen when I have tried to reuse old barbed fittings in the poly pipe... from what I can find on youtube, some of them are one use only. I had one that I worked on last year leak on me and I also need to dig it up and repair it.... maybe I used a ribbed fitting that didn't have sharp barbs.

Old 04-04-12, 05:27 PM
Better clamp it! it will fail otherwise, the only pipe that is non-clamping is swing pipe AKA funny pipe.