drain pipe

Old 04-05-12, 11:33 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
drain pipe

I am in the middle of making new drainage system. Connecting and extending the existing downspout from root to other area away from house...

I use 4inch plastic pipe(collugated flexible) and am connecting 40 feet of it to downspout, my question is this:
Do I have to dig the ground to make it slope all the way to end?
I know it's desirable, but Digging like that require more deep digging and deeper digging...
so, if no slope could work, then it helps....
in other words, if I dig the ground evenly ( no slope, equal depth), then put the pipe in it, water(rain) can be flow and drained?
Thanks,

Old 04-05-12, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Corrugated pipe is not good for transporting water and it is easy to install with bellies the collect even more contaminated water than the corrugations. The collection of leaves, roofing granules and debris add to the problem. If you try to install it level, the old rule that water seeks its own level does not help.

Since you are in the middle of the project you apparently have the cheap corrugated flexible pipe and cannot change pipe materials, so you have to make sure you have an adequate slope.

What are you draining the water to?

Dick

Old 04-06-12, 07:51 AM
N
Dick,

Certain area of my house has too much water during rainy days, so we need to move those excessive water to other location, away from house and there is down hill around 40feet away from house, so my plan is to connect 4inch pipe from roof gutter downspouts to that location.
In order to do this, I need to dig the ground from the swamp area to the down hill area.

Thanks,

Old 04-06-12, 07:54 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Too late to switch to PVC?

Old 04-06-12, 12:01 PM
N
Not too late, but I already bought materials like 4inch pipes,elbows, connectors, etc...
The other reason that I selected to use the corrugated cheap 4inch pipe is the shape of run, like the path of flow need to be follow the edge line of existing garden, which shaped as "S"...
so if I could have used PVC pipe, I would have to dig seperated straight line next to garden area, so it's a little extra work and would been looked not nice...
My thought of even grading is all the water which need to tranfered is rain water from top roof, so according to gravity theory, water at high position should have certain amount of POWER to force away all the lower position water through the pipe even pipe is not graded...am I wrong?
Thanks,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: