Irrigation Leak In Supply Line

Old 04-12-12, 07:55 AM
Irrigation Leak In Supply Line

I had a well drill drilled 160' for $1,600, and had a contractor connect the well line to my irrigation system. I did put a pressure tank in the garage and all was well until I found out that the tank wouldn't hold pressure and the water drained out somewhere in around 1 1/2 hours. i did the first 30 feet of line and the contractor did the rest. I put a check valve in the line right after the work that I did and have a ball valve on the in/out lines. I have isolated the leak in the work that the contractor did since the water doesn't run back into the well. I know I could call the contractor and probably will but if I continue searching for the leak, I think that I'll put the check valve in the line vs digging up the entire 50' of supply line. That way, I'll know if the leak is behind or in front of the valve. What do you think? I've already replaced a small segment of the line where the "expert" connected it to a frost free hydrant. I hate it when I have to go behind a workman and redo his work...

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-12, 08:24 AM
Group Moderator
It could the be check valve on the deep well submersible pump is leaking allowing the water in the line to drain back down into the well.

How deep is the water line buried? If it's shallow enough I'd turn it one for a day and see if the leak reveals itself on the surface.

Old 04-12-12, 08:51 AM
Odd that you mentioned it but the check valve near the pump did leak and they replaced it due to sand... Nah, I have the two valves and I shut off the one to the irrigation line and the tank holds water and when I allow pressure to the line out the tank drains so it is in the irrigation pressure line somewhere. The pressure line is about 1' deep and right now (Oklahoma) we're having beau coup rain-very unusual. I did call the guy that installed the pressure line and we're going t wait until we have a dry day and he is supposed to come over and check it out.