Mulch Type To Use Near Foundation

Old 04-15-12, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mulch Type To Use Near Foundation

Hello,

There is a small, 12 ft long shrub bed that abuts the house foundation that I would like to give a new layer of top soil and mulch to. I went through some bags of mulch at the local Home Depot and noticed many stated not to use within several inches of the house. I would prefer not to use the rubber mulch.

Is there a good mulch type I can get that is good for the plantings + house? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-12, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is there a brick or concrete foundation that goes up 12" or so before hitting siding or wood?

If that's the case you can put it right next to the foundation.

Whatever the case... shredded cypress or cedar is very insect resistant...and that's the reason they say to leave the space.

Old 04-15-12, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most of the length of the shrub bed abuts a concrete foundation w/ 20" clearance. One side does abut a small front porch which is all wood. Am I still okay to go right up it? Thanks

Old 04-15-12, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
No...not to the wood unless it is treated wood in good condition. The problem is with carpenter ants (as well as regular ants) and termites. They can use it as a path to destroy your porch and penetrate your home.

If you are very vigilant about termite and insect treatments...it might be OK, but I'd leave about a 10-12" space and use stone or similar in that area. You'll still need to treat the wood and check for termite mud tubes.