Lawnscaping advice/ideas for odd space?

Old 04-16-12, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lawnscaping advice/ideas for odd space?

I am trying to figure out what to do with the space on the side of my house. It is sloped pretty horribly and the grass is hard to keep green. There is no sprinkler system installed so watering is done manually which is a pain. I would like to maybe get rid of the grass where the slope is all the way down close to where it tapers off level with side of the house and maybe put mulch/rock and plant some drought-resistant plants (I'm in Northern Colorado) and then install sprinklers on the level part of the side.

Picture taken waist level looking back from the front of the house to the slope leading to the neighbor's drive way.

Standing on the slope and neighbor's driveway looking from the front of the house to the back yard.

Taken waist high looking from the side of my house to the slope at the neighbor's property.

Looking from the back of the house to the front toward the slope.

At the slope looking to the backyard about half way from the front of the house to the back of the house. You can see that past the neighbor's driveway the sloping begins to even out with my property.

The pictures don't really show how badly the slope is or how bad the angle is in some spots. If you were a leprechaun or small hobbit, you could use it as a quarter pipe and do some stunts off of it.

Anyone have some random thoughts about what to do with the space?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-12, 08:32 AM
I think your idea of putting rock or mulch with some plants in the area would look great.

Something like this?

I don't know if THAT many plants are really necessary. I think it'd still look good with fewer plants.

You could even put bricks or rocks at the bottom to make it a more defined area.

Old 04-18-12, 10:27 AM
Yeah that's something of what I had in mind. Of course the slope on my house isn't that pronounced, but I am trying to determine if I can get away with that in the smaller space. I'm not very handy so I wouldn't know where to begin and I'm not sure I would even attempt to do this myself. I'm not planning on doing the work soon, but would like to get an idea of the undertaking. Thanks.

Old 05-05-12, 12:40 PM
what to plant on a narrow slope

An easy way to prepare the area is to kill the grass by covering it with cardboard, newspaper (and woodchips on top to make it look better). Leave it in place till next spring, if you're not in a hurry. The old grass will be mostly decomposed by then. Turn the sod/soil, add compost or manure and plant. On a slope if you dig a sort of berm around each planting hole (mound up the soil in front of and all around the planting hole) water will get down to the roots instead of just draining away down the slope. Chose plants for the exposure, ie, sunny, shady, etc. A nursery could advise you on plant selection for your site. Sorry if this is TMI...

Old 05-20-12, 05:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
[url=Link removed[/url] this might help!! i got it and used some of the ideas for my back yards pool area. it was just a standard rectangle and not an odd space like yours though. goodluck!

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 10-02-12 at 04:54 AM.