Sprinkler Issue

Old 04-17-12, 06:38 AM
Sprinkler Issue

I have a 4 zone sprinkler system. One zone is in the front yard for a drip system and three zones are in the back yard, one for drip and two for the lawn. I have my timer set to start at 7am, some days when the 1st zone in the lawn is set to go off I notice that it does not have enough pressure to work properly (ie the sprinklers heads don't pop up). I walked out front and noticed that water was flowing out of the back flow preventer from the drip system zone in the front yard. The problem is temporaly solved by restarting the zone. Any ideas as to why it s doing this? I just laid new sod 2-1/2 weeks ago and want to make sure everything is running right with my system! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-12, 06:49 AM
Group Moderator
Water may flow from the back flow preventer as the piping in the zone drains. I would make sure that the valve for your front yard zone is shutting off completely.

Are you on a well or do you have city water?

Another thing I have noticed is that popping-up the sprinkler heads takes more flow volume than when they are up and spraying. When down or partially popped they gush a lot of water around the stem which can lower the pressure in the zone further exasperating the problem. I had a similar intermittent problem with my system. I'm on a well and the water pressure varies from 30-50psi. If the zone came on when the pressure was high it worked OK but if it came on low a couple heads would not pop up and just poured water out around the sprinkler and the others on the zone sprayed weakly. I replaced a couple of the pop-up sprinklers with fixed risers and it has resolved the issue.

Old 04-17-12, 08:16 AM
I am on city water, the pressure is fine the rest of the time it is only every once in a while that it happens. I think you may be right about the valve for the front zone staying open. I will see what I can do for that. Thanks