decomposed granite yard -- Is it safe?

Old 04-17-12, 07:53 AM
decomposed granite yard -- Is it safe?

I am tired of trying to grow grass in my back yard and wasting water on it just to see if wither and die.

I'm searching for lawn alternatives and would like to do a significant part of my yard in crushed or decomposed granite. I've seen all of the granite countertop media reports. It seems that most granite countertops do not give off enough radon gas or radiation to cause a problem. Is that the case also for crushed granite?

It seems like a great alternative to grass, but I don't want to put something in my yard that could potentially harm my pets and family.

Thanks ahead of time for any replies!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-12, 08:29 AM
You are putting the decomposed granite outdoors where the is great air circulation, so it is not confined.

Radon is a gas that supposedly can cause minor problems in a composed area where the concentration can be increased, but the granite stone under the foundations may be found to be detrimental in some ways if the house in tightly enclosed.

You are putting decomposed granite in an arbitrary category is a situation where is cannot be concentrated, so don't worry. Recycled tires like they use on municipal play areas would be a greater concern. Grass, fertilizer and soil enhancements may also be greater concerns.

Dick

Old 04-17-12, 09:09 AM
Group Moderator
I would not use decomposed granite just based on my experience - we have it out front of the office and weeds grow in it since it's so fine, almost like a soil would be (yes, the weeds are growing in the granite on top of the weed barrier fabric).

I'd suggest something more coarse, like a 3/4" product.

Old 04-17-12, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Well Mitch...they'll grow in that too...my front and side yards are proof...lol.

I used something for some paths and my firewood rack back in VA that might work. I think it was some sort of granite as well, but with some tamping and water application it settles into a hard surface that wasn't disturbed when you walked on it.

If you wanted to keep it sorta loose you could just rake it occasionally. The areas that were walked on would eventually firm up and not get scattered everywhere.

Whatever you use...make sure it will "lock" together. Too round and it will get scattered everywhere. Thats the mistake the previous owner made in my side yards.

Old 04-17-12, 01:02 PM
Granite

Granite will have sharp edges, I would not want it in my yard for pets and children to have under foot. I would prefer a smooth stone such as river pebbles.