Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Potential Washout Near/Under Front Step - Advice Needed

Potential Washout Near/Under Front Step - Advice Needed

Old 04-21-12, 10:24 AM
Question Potential Washout Near/Under Front Step - Advice Needed

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums and this site, so if this is in the wrong place or if there's a better site to post this to for advice - please let me know.

I noted on our front step that part of the landscaping is dipping under the step on the left side:

Here's a close-up of the dip:

And, here is the right side (no problem - other than the obnoxious weed):

Something else I had noted is that under the corners of the step behind the bushes, it looks like this:

I was lucky enough to be home while it was slightly raining to see a couple of things that might contribute to this. One, the gutter very near where the dip is has a drip that is coming down near that spot. It's not much - and I don't see leaking anywhere else in the gutter, but maybe over time (we've lived in this house since 10/2011) this has developed on the side. The portions behind the bushes we noted nearly immediately after moving in - but I thought maybe that was normal.

Anyway - I also noted that it looks like water may be running off the left side of the step to that area (see the water marks on the step "pouring" over).

So - here are my questions/concerns:

I'm having someone come to look at my gutters, and they will likely patch the part that appears to be leaking. After that, what should I do about this?

Should I clear away the mulch and pack with dirt under the step until I can't pack anymore? If I do that, is it possible I could inadvertently create a dam there (there appears to be a concrete pad at least partially under the step - I'm not sure if this is there for drainage or what, but if it's there for drainage, I'm afraid of blocking it and making the problem worse).

I'm not very handy around the house - what kind of contractor/service would handle something like this?

I appreciate any help I can get - if this is not the right place, please direct me to where I need to go. Thank you!!

P.S. - I also use Angie's List pretty extensively, so even an idea of what to look for on there would help me greatly to get started.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-12, 10:22 PM
Having been in landscaping for some twenty-five years this looks like normal settling from the removal of a couple of shrubs on each side of the porch. What I would do is fill the areas to the same level and either water the area with a hose or wait for enough rain to see what happens. This all assumes there is not a sprinkler line or heads in these areas that could be the trouble.

Old 04-25-12, 12:58 PM
Thank you for your reply.

Since I wrote this message, I have gotten feedback from two people who have seen it (a contractor, and my brother-in-law who might as well be a contractor), and they both see no issue.

The advice I have gotten from both is similar to yours.

Thank you!