Create curb appeal with flowers and walkway

Old 04-21-12, 06:03 PM
Create curb appeal with flowers and walkway

My house is listed for sale and the outside is very plain and ugly. I bought some plants from a catalog to try to spruce up the front. I am not an outdoorsy person and have never done any type of gardening or outside work so any suggestions would be appreciated! The area I am working in is covered with very thick grass and weeds and is against the plywood skirting of my house. I am also painting the skirting before I start the planting, ect.. Someone suggested to me that it may be easier for me not to dig up all the grass. Instead she said to plant my bulbs, and put layers of newspaper all around, but not over the planted areas. Then to cover with mulch. I am wondering if I can also do this for a walkway in front of the flowered area, from my driveway to front door. This path does not get used at all, but I want it to look better. So I was wondering if I could lay down cardboard and paper and cover with mulch, using landscaping boards or something for a border. Can I do this right over the grass? Can I use mulch for a walkway? Will it get muddy after it rains? Mulch is on sale at Lowes this weekend so I was thinking of using that, but also thought of pea gravel. Anyone have ideas for me? Think Cheap and easy! Thanks a bunch!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-12, 05:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

While I've used newsprint under mulch and have had good results, I wouldn't try it over grass. It's best to either dig up the sod or spray round up or something on it to kill it first. Leaving the grass as is would likely force it to come up in the holes provided for the flowers possibly crowding out the flower.

Mulch works well on walkways providing you have stepping stones. The mulch by itself would get mucky with a lot of rain. Gravel/stone might be a better choice for the walkway. I don't think using cardboard would be a good idea. the mulch would probably wash off of it with a good rain.

Stay tuned, I'm sure there will be others with more suggestions for you

Old 04-22-12, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the info! I hadn't thought of the rain washing the mulch off cardboard, now that you mention it, it makes sense.