Scrap stone patio?

Old 04-22-12, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Scrap stone patio?

I would like to put a "Stone" patio in my back yard. I have some good size pieces of slate, and concrete slabs that floored a ratty old yard barn I'm removing.
I would like to use a these and a variety of other scrap patio materials (bricks paving stones ect.) to make a nifty little collage of a patio.

I'm concerned the various thicknesses of materials will make it impossible to level and I'll be left with a big tripping hazard. Can this be made to work? Does this just sound like the ugliest patio ever? Should I just fork out the cash for proper material?

Will post picture of yard and materials if this idea isn't immediately shot down

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-12, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well...it would be a lot of work the dig it out, fill with sand and all to get the different thicknesses to work...but it could be done.

That said...I think the mixing of natural and man made materials will not look good. Might be one thing to do a border of brick, for instance, then fill the field with slate....but just randomly mixing them? Not what I'd want.

Old 04-22-12, 02:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
I think if you can go with the border idea Vic mentioned and maybe use up the rest to put in some kind of design - you can make it work. It will be a job to get them all even and some thinking to make it look good...... but I'd think it could be done.