Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for sprinkler valve mfr and installation question (pics)

Old 05-09-12, 09:16 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Ok, our irrigation system (moved in like 8 months ago) needs a lot of work, but my first stop is to replace some really old valves as we have leaks, etc.

My goal is to not only replace my existing valves with new ones but to put them new ones in such that they allow for easy removal in the future.

When I asked my pop for some advice, he swears by Champion brass valves but admits this from 20 years ago knowledge and isn't sure if they are the same quality still. I can't find Champion at Home Depot, Lowes, Orchard, etc. and not many brass body valves seem to be sold nowadays.

Q1: What manufacturer would you recommend to go with for a good quality auto valve? I don't care if the body is brass or not unless there is good reason for me to stick with one.

Also, per the picture below, you can see that there is little room to work with the current valves and I have a very hard time loosening, removing bodies, etc. so when I replace the current ones, I want to install two unions under each valve so in the future I can easily remove the entire valve since I don't have room to spin the bodies (see below).

Q2: Is there a particular type of union I might want to consider? Will using unions affect any functional operation? Finally, to make this easy, I planned on just cutting the 3/4" pipe beneath the curreny valves, tossing them, then glueing a coupler to the exposed ends, attaching a short threaded piece to connect the unions to, etc. Is this an ok approach?

Old 05-10-12, 08:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The answer to Q1, my recomendation would be to go to an irrigation supply store and go with the Rain Bird ASVF series valves.
The answer to Q2, your proposed plan seems like a good one from my twenty+ years of experiance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: