Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Do lawn care companies have to have a special license

Old 05-13-12, 06:11 AM

We've had a lawn care co come and spray our lawn for over 20 yrs and we also take care of it. We think it looks pretty . My friend has a son who went to college for 4 yrs to study lawns and environments and just started his own company to take care of lawns. She told me that her son said he has a special license to spray certain chemicals and that the people we get do not. She said the people who come and spray our lawns are just ordinary people , in which the company just hires people to work for them and if I get her son he is allowed to use the harsher chemicals to kill weeds. Sometimes we get mad at the company we have bc it seems they are watering down their chemicals and they also don't get the weeds along the driveway and along the road. I guess I have two questions. One: is it true the guys we have can't spray the harsh chemicals like my friend' s son can? Two: are the companies now watering down their chemicals?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-12, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
I'm sure it is true that companies need to be licensed when applying stuff commercially. Now...does every single person have to be licensed? I doubt it. They probably operate under the company paperwork with minimal training.

If this is one of the big national companies you currently have...then I doubt they dilute anything. Small one truck company....well....it could happen. That stuff isn't cheap I'm sure.

As to their sometimes poor service with the weeds, if you are happy otherwise,....complain directly to the owner...in writing if necessary. It's your money that keeps them in business.

Old 05-13-12, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
Laws are changing throughout the nation. NJ just adopted a fertilizer law. You must be certified, only certain NPK ratios, apply on certain dates...etc.

Quick Facts: 2011 New Jersey Fertilizer Law

Check your local agriculture extension to see what your laws are.

You can only put down on so high of a fertilizer level before the law gets damaged.

Your thinking here should be for the environment and stop using synthetic chemicals all together. Organic fertilizer actually works better.

Its bad enough that the bays in NJ are loaded with phosphorous run off from these fertilizer. It just hits a soft spot with me.

Mike NJ

Last edited by lawrosa; 05-13-12 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Spelling. (Keep thinking about Furd every time I send a reply.LOL)
Old 05-13-12, 07:29 AM
Group Moderator
I agree with GG. If your happy with the service, who cares if they have a license and use heavy duty chemicals or they use off the shelf stuff, it is the end result that matters. If your not happy, then tell them. If they won't make you happy, move on.