Sprinkler system won't stop

Old 05-16-12, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sprinkler system won't stop

I have the Toro 212 sprinkler system It was working fine last spring but I'm having issue this spring. the main zone (zone A) will start but won't stop even if I dial the controller to OFF or even when I unplug the unit the only way to stop the sprinklers is to shut off the main water valve on the side of the house. I have 3 zones and only zone A seems to start. What could it be?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-12, 03:31 PM
Check the wires on the valve for zone A in your valve box and then check the wires going into the controller. If they are both OK then switch the wire from one of the working valves to zone A, if it does not work, buy a new valve.

Old 05-16-12, 05:48 PM
Your problem with zone A is either debris in the valve or a bad diaphram. The other two zones could be bad wire connections or lack of pressure due to the first zone being stuck on. My recomendation is to just replace the zone A valve then check the wire connections if needed.

Old 05-16-12, 06:24 PM
How do I check the valve for debris? The manual is very basic I actually never red it until today since the manual has only the obvious in it. Funny thing is there's 2 bare wires on 2 of the valves but as far as I can remeber it was always like that I'll take some pix of the valve box tomorrow during the day

Old 05-16-12, 11:52 PM
Depending on the type of valve there can be anywhere from four nuts or screws to eight screws holding the top of the valve on. The prossess is to turn off the water at the source and slowly loosen the screws evenly to allow the water pressure to possiblw flush the debris out. Once the water leval subsides, slowly remove the top and diaphram checking for damage then re-assemble the valve and turn the water back on. Sometimes there is a pinhole or tear in the diaphram that cannot be seen so clearing the valve does not always work and the diaphram or valve needs to be replaced.

Old 05-17-12, 10:59 AM
OK I checked all the valves and they seem fine so are the diaphragms. What I realized is that I only have 2 working zones but 3 valves one is not wired. When I open that non wired valve I lose major pressure so it has to be closed at all time!!! The bare wires I found are actually from that valve that is not being used so what I did is I swapped that unused valve with zone 1 but still the same problem and now soon as I turn the main water tap ON the sprinklers goes. Also when zone 1 is running zone 2 is leaking from the sprinkler heads.

Old 05-17-12, 03:17 PM
I got a new solenoid from home depot it does the same thing but now the sprinklers are always spraying. Could it be the controller?

Old 05-17-12, 07:27 PM
It's most likely that the valve has a hairline crack causing the problem and should be replaced.

Old 05-17-12, 08:02 PM
Which valve? Why is it that soon as I turn the main water tap zone 1 sprays like it's on and zone 2 leaks but when I turn zone 1 off from the valve zone 2 works perfectly (manual) I still can't have the controller to talk to the solanoid but voltage is going through

Old 05-18-12, 07:47 PM
Let me try and get this right. zone 1 sprays continuously unless turned off at the valve and zone 2 will not turn on by the clock. Try switching the solenoids between zones 1 and 2. If I'm right zone 1 should remain the same and will need to be replaced but zone 2 should work fine from the clock.

Old 05-18-12, 08:19 PM
Here's my update!!

Soon as I turn the main water ON zone 1 sprays and zone 2 just leaks and that's with the controller turned OFF unplugged from the wall when I turn the valve OFF from zone 1 zone 2 sprays and zone 1 leaks a little bit all that with the controller unplugged No matter what I do the valves don't respond to the controller manual or automatic also I'm getting 27VAC on both zones at the end of the wires I swapped solenoids around I hear them clicking and getting energized for a few minutes I even got a similar solenoid from Home Depot as a test it's an Orbit but almost fits almost perfectly but same results!!!! What could cause the sprinklers to spray soon as the main water is turned ON without the controller being ON?

Old 05-19-12, 04:26 PM
OK. I just had to deal with this same issue on of our jobs today. What I had to do is get two of the same type of valves and replace the tops, diaphragm and solenoid on each one to fix the problem. In many cases even when the diaphragm looks good there can be a pinhole leak that keeps the valve from shutting off.

Old 05-19-12, 04:42 PM
It's running fine now The thing is I have no clue what I did to fix it!!! I redid all the wiring by passed the rain sensor cleared the memory interchanged the diaphragms and solenoids so whatever last setting I did it's working I also found that 3rd zone pipe it was at the end of my yard not plugged and leaking I put a piece of broom stick with a collar to plug it!!!

Old 05-19-12, 05:58 PM
would only one bad solenoid screw up the whole system? I think that Orbit solenoid kicked the system in place

Old 05-20-12, 12:03 PM
It's possible. If one valve fails to seal, that can drop the pressure down enough for the other valves not to fully seal and allow some water through.

Old 05-20-12, 03:02 PM
I think I have one bad valve for sure it doesn't matter if I turn the valve ON or OFF it flows like a regular garden hose I can tell because it's the zone that has no sprinklers on it I think the previous owners installed it just in case they want to expand to the front lawn. I bought a proper 3/4" plug for it. I feel like getting some plumbing a turning it into a tap since the end is on the other end of my yard that would give me an extra water point.

Old 05-22-12, 07:18 PM
That sounds like it would work for you. My suggestion would be to replace the electric valve with a ball valve then continue the line to where you would want to have a hose bib. You can always tee off that line if you want to install another electric valve.