Getting rid of stumps

Old 05-16-12, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Getting rid of stumps

There are several LARGE stumps around our house that I am determined to get rid of. Some are still living and I can't seem to kill them. Digging isn't really an option, they are close to the foundation and 3 are growing over the edge of the pad to the carport, another that appears to be a maple of some sort is likely over the main water line. All are about a foot to 18 inches in diameter. Stump rot is to expensive and time consuming. The rest of the stumps are Chinese Elm. Does anyone have any ideas???

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-12, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 272 Posts
Call a tree service and have them grind it down below grade, and apply root killer. (Chinese Elms like to grow back) They will be careful around your driveway and water lines. Won't take them long at all.

Old 05-16-12, 08:00 PM
A wonderful idea, but.... can't afford a tree service. I am trying to do most of this stuff on my own. Do they just take a chainsaw to it? I have an electric one, but might be able to find money to rent one. the ones close to the foundation are half rotted but still living in places. It doesn't help the only large tree in our yard is a Chinese Elm. One stump is an evergreen I cut down last year, saw on Ask this Old House that evergreens don't come back once cut, so I plan on just digging down a little, cutting it off, and building a strawberry garden over the top in boulders.

Old 05-16-12, 08:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 272 Posts
No, it's not "just" a chainsaw. Unless you picture a big logging saw with huge teeth that goes on the back of a tractor that pivots back and forth on a "hinge" until the stump is chewed down to the appropriate level.

I suppose if you dug around it enough to get as much of the dirt away as you could... then maybe hosed the stump and rootstock off with a hose (and give it some time to soak away so it isn't a big sloppy mud hole)... then a rented chainsaw (buy the damage insurance) could probably eventually chew it up, but that wouldn't be my idea of a fun Saturday afternoon... unless you had a case of ice cold beer and a lot of friends who wanted to take turns at it.

Of course, chain saws and beer aren't always a good combination. LOL

Old 05-16-12, 08:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
I had 9 stumps removed from my property. Some hard wood (oak) some soft. Found a guy on craigslist that did them all for $175. Took him less than an hour.

Ok...I just went to SLC craigslist and searched "stump grinder" and came up with zip. You guys don't have trees? How about renting a grinder?

Old 05-17-12, 06:43 PM
Admittedly, $175 isn't back for 9 stumps. I think I have about that many. We have plenty of trees here, just no one really uses craigslist here. I just looked at rentals from Sunbelt, it's $175 daily for a small one with at 9 to 11" blade on it. For the medium it's $310 per day for a 16 to 17" blade. It's looking like unless I can find a cheap place to do it (thus making reliability a question for me) or a MUCH cheaper rental I will just have to hack them out slowly myself.

Old 05-17-12, 07:43 PM
1sthouseSLC,
Stump removal without the right equipment is a big job. I had a stump about a foot across, on the back corner of my house. It had been cut down, long before I bought the house. But the stump didn't die, and about six months after I moved in I noticed roots starting to come through the wall. They wanted a lot to get rid of, so I tackled it my self. First off, I took a big drill, and drill big deep holes in the stump, and packed them with rock salt to kill the stump. Then late on when I had time, I started digging and cutting off roots. When I got tired off digging, I wrapped a big chain around it, and yanked it out with my truck.

Old 05-17-12, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
I did have a tree stump that kept coming back (I think it was a boxelder) I started a camp fire on it and just kept burning. It did not get rid of the stump but it did kill it.

Last option is to drill holes in the stump and pour straight Roundup concentrate in the holes. That might do it too. Info is on the product package.

Old 05-17-12, 09:22 PM
Edward074,
I might have to try the rock salt to kill the ones that keep returning at least. It might mean investing in more tools () like a large drill bit. To bad it won't mean a new drill, but I like new tools anyway. I might be able to dig down a few inches, but proximity to foundation and utility lines might prevent me from going to deep. I plan on having utilities mapped before I do ANY digging around them.

Tolyn Ironhand,
I have heard of the stump burning option, but since all the stumps are up against wood sided building, I don't think that is the best option. I will have to look at the roundup idea, if I can at least kill them I will be happy. Constantly cutting them down/back is getting VERY tiresome. I have a lot of other projects I'd rather be working on.

Thanks for the advice!