Is all tall fescue sod the same?

Old 05-31-12, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is all tall fescue sod the same?

I live in San Diego and getting ready to buy tall fescue sod for my backyard and have read that the different suppliers have varying quality product.

Everywhere I turn, I see ads for Marathon I, saying they're the best. I've also looked into sod from West Coast Turf, their product is called "West Coaster Fescue" and they obviously say theirs is the best. The other suppliers I've talked with are AM Sod, Evergreen Nursery, and El Plantio. All the sod ranges from $.39 to $.49 sq/ft.

How can I tell who has the best product? Density, blend, etc? Is anyone familiar with any of these suppliers?

Thank You.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-12, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
The answer to the question in your title is easy - no.

What are the differences? Couldn't tell you, that species doesn't do well up here so my familiarity is pretty much limited to the knowledge tall fescue doesn't play well with other grasses so you want it to be exclusive in your lawn if you use it (the fescue tends to grow in weed-like clumps when grown along with other grasses).

Old 06-01-12, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mitch. Fescue will be the only grass in my yard. I like it here in So Cal because it tolerates the heat and drought conditions well, without going dormant in the winter. And who knows when we'll get another water restriction mandate.