Design my front porch landscape!

Old 06-04-12, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Design my front porch landscape!

Hey everyone. First time homeowner here...and I need some help with my landscaping. I have a 26 x 108 inch bed in front of my porch that needs a makeover. My thumbs are definitely not green. I have attached a photo of the current mess. I want to get rid of the existing shrubs and nasty red mulch.

I want to go with some sort of rock and put some new shrubs in. I want to go with something low maintenance and hardy that doesn't get too tall. I'm not sure weather to go with one large plant, or 2-3 smaller ones. I'm not opposed to incorporating some boulders either, since they should be easy to take care of.

Any suggestions on rock and plant life would be greatly appreciated. I live in Kentucky, so we have cold winters AND hot summers.

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-12, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 53 Posts
Welcome!

Your not working with a lot of room there. If you like the existing shrubs, just adding some river rock will dress it up. (note: mulch is better for the plants) IF you don't like the shrubs, I would not go with just one, two or three small ones would be better.

Another option is to skip the shrubs, amend the soil, and plant blubs or perennials like Hostas, or Sedum. Perennials might be better as they will not get too large over time.

Cold winters in KY...HA!