Safety zone for swingset?

Old 06-18-12, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Safety zone for swingset?

I've been reading that I need to leave a 6' safety zone around a swingset. Is this correct? That means a swingset that measures 8' x 10' will require a total area of 20' x 22'!

Incidently, I plan to put down rubber mulch for this area.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-12, 03:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
I can certainly see 6' in front, doesn't seem like behind and to the side would need as much.

Old 06-18-12, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Even worse...that 6' isn't what they recommend in front and behind the actual swings.

Here's what I saw at several sites...here's one....Wood Swing Set Safety bottom of the page.

"The fall zone in front and back of the swing should extend out a minimum distance of twice the height of the swing as measured from the ground to the top of the swing support structure."

So...if the support is 7' from the ground...you should have 14' in front and 14' to the rear.

Well..there goes yer yard I guess.

Funny...when I was growing up we had rock hard dirt around the swings.

Old 06-18-12, 03:20 PM
Yes, I saw that on the Gorilla website, but most sources just say 6' all around.

When I was a kid we had blacktop around our swings!

Old 06-18-12, 05:01 PM
I think it's moslty about the mulch. Notice the table on the Gorilla web site - using the 14' clearance front and back and 6' on the sides of an 8' wide swing gives a total area of 560 s/f. That means 280 c/f of rubber mulch if installed at the 6" depth they recommend. IIRC the rubber mulch I put around my foundation was .8 c/f per bag at around $6 a bag. That's 350 bags!

They may give you a break though. Get the recommended mulch when you buy one of their grossly overpriced playsets and it's only $919 plus $75 S&H.

LMAO

Old 06-18-12, 05:22 PM
When kids grow and get more accustomed to a toy/challenge, the 6' is kind of a feeble amount and flying 6' beyond the footprint. When I was kid, there were always changes to see how far you could fly especially from a standing "pump" position where you could go higher and jump further.

The 6' may be similar to a building code that is a just a minimum and not the most sensible for real situations. We always had to time thing to make sure we did no land on top of someone. - 10' or 12' height the cross bar.

Dick

Old 06-19-12, 12:07 PM
I'm starting to wonder if the swingset is such a good idea. Are there other backyard playground ideas that don't require so much wasted area?

Old 06-19-12, 12:14 PM
Group Moderator
Honestly, most backyard swingsets are just set on the grass and left. Not sure whether that's a bad idea or what, the mulch definitely would provide for a softer landing if one were to jump off the swing (which I recall doing into my 40's until I messed up an ACL in one of my knees doing something else...).

Old 06-21-12, 09:29 AM
I think I'm going to ditch the swing idea. I may get something like this:
Kids Climbing Wall & Mountain Climber with Slide - Little Tikes

How large of a mulch area should I plan for something like that?

Old 06-21-12, 10:13 AM
Group Moderator
Personally, I would set that on the grass in my yard, I wouldn't mulch it.

If you're going to mulch, I can see something in the 6' on all sides still pertaining.

Old 06-22-12, 05:00 PM
I think if the only the people to buy swingsets were the ones who follow the safety recommendations, they wouldn't be selling many.