Need to replant my grass

Old 04-26-12, 12:43 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need to replant my grass

Very soon I will be putting a completely new sprinkler system in my yard. Once that is complete I need to kill all the existing grass in the yard and replant from seed.

I am wondering what is the best way to go about this. I am not sure what would be best to kill the existing grass considering I need to replant as soon as it is gone.

Thoughts or advice?

Thanks.

Old 04-26-12, 12:48 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Roundup.

It only affects growing plants, will not harm seed (don't get the 'max' or long term stuff, just regular Roundup).

Might take a couple applications a week or two apart, some plants take a few days to die.

Old 04-26-12, 01:59 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Depending on the size of your yard you may want to get a less expensive non Roundup brand of glyphosate (the main active ingredient in Roundup). Brands such as; Glyfos, Honcho, Cornerstone, Glyphomax are available from agricultural suppliers (feed & fertilizer stores & coops) and cost less than half as much as Roundup brand.

Old 04-26-12, 02:12 PM
S
Group Moderator
Nice call, Dane. Yes, 2% glyophosphate or thereabouts is what you want, does not need to be Roundup brand.

Old 04-26-12, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I personally am against chemical use. Work with what you have is the best option. Corn gluten for the weeds and organic fertilizers. In a year or two the lawn should start looking good.

True organics. I use this stuff. Its local to NJ. ( Although I have issues with poultry manure. )

Organic Lawn Fertilizers

To much chemical use IMO in the world and it needs to stop. We are developing super weeds.

Monsanto is the developers of round up and the GMO's (Genetically modified organisms). Monsanto developed and have a patent on round up ready soy and corn seeds, and want to bring back 2,4,D. to kill these super weeds.

2,4,D is the only thing that can kill these super weeds that don't die. Dow is petitioning the USDA as we speak to use this chemical.

You all know what 2,4,D is and who Monsanto is right? AGENT ORANGE is 2,4,D.

Here is a link. Most of you know this already, but for those who don't.

Lets start thinking seven generations ahead and the impact of the earth.

http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/stop_agent_orange_corn/?
akid=533.411088.r0L6qS&rd=1&t=6

Just my opinion.

Mike NJ

Old 04-27-12, 04:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I know we are getting off track but an unintended side effect of genetically engineered (GE) crops has been an increased use in herbicides with the glyphosate use doubling in the past five years. Something GE crops was to specifically reduce. Read some reports on how much of it is making it's way into our rivers and how little we know about it's long term side effects and it does not paint a rosy picture.

Old 07-01-12, 06:52 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have most everything killed in the yard except in a few places it looks like I am getting sprouts of some sort of bush or tree. It seems to get burned by the roundup but keeps growing.

Is there something I can put on there just to kill that one thing? Even if I have to put it on with a q-tip or something. I'd like to have this gone before I replant on Saturday.

Thanks

Old 07-02-12, 06:15 AM
S
Group Moderator
Roundup won't work that fast, I'd pull it by hand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: