Fungcides for Brown Patch

Old 07-09-12, 12:08 PM
Fungcides for Brown Patch

I have brown patch in my lawn now and have had it for the past few years. It seems to be common in our area of NJ. I am bagging clipping to prevent thatch and don't water at night to prevent moisture, but I need a chemical curative treatment at this point. Last, year I had to reseed large areas of the lawn.

I have read some University studies which show that Heritage, Prostar and others are the most effect for curative treatment. While some the less effective products contain the same fungicide you can get in the home center, but with higher concentrations such Myclobutanil - Spectracide Immunox Lawn Disease Control and Propiconazole - Bayer Advanced Fungus Control. Given the expense of the best commercial fungicides, is it worth a try the Home Center products first based on actual experience?

Last edited by edge10; 07-09-12 at 01:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-12, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
I use Prostar 70WP. I can't say it's cheap but it's not bad when I purchase it at my local feed/fertilizer place and the powder is very concentrated so a little goes a long way. One thing I've found backs up the research about brown patch fungicides. The Prostar has a very good residual affect. I've only once used the full curative ratio. Since then the preventive ratio applied 30-45 days apart is sufficient.

Old 07-10-12, 10:38 AM
Do you know of any effective organic treatments such as corn meal, Serenade, and Actinovate. It seems like there is some conflicting information on these from what I have found.

Old 07-10-12, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
Not familiar with the other two but what I know of corn gluten meal would not make it effective for this.