Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Laying Sod in Small Urban Backyard with not allot of sunlight

Old 08-05-12, 08:47 AM

Hey everyone! I want to lay sod in a small plot I have in an urban (Brooklyn) backyard. It's about 600 square feet and is currently just dirt and weeds. The problem is that the backyard only gets a few hours of sunlight a day. I was planning on buying sod from Lowes or Home Depot. Do you think I can lay sod successfully and the lawn will take? If so what can I do to ensure my best chances of success? Unfortunately Lowe's and Home Depot only sells one kind of sod (not the kind that will grow in shady areas). You want some pictures?

Thank you all!

Best regards,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-12, 10:41 AM
Laying sod

A few hours of sunlight is fine but in the winter months the sun drops lower and then maybe you will not have as much sun then. Really you should probably just get the shady turf from somewhere else or reseed with shady lawn seed.

Old 08-05-12, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the advise bchase. You think I could just lay the regular sod and be vigilant about putting down shade seed if I notice some areas not doing so well? Any suggestions on prep work prior to laying down the sod?

Thanks again!!

Old 08-05-12, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
Just remember that laying sod takes as much prep to get a good outcome as it does when you seed, it just gives results more quickly.