New Zoysia Sod Fertilization

Old 09-16-12, 09:55 AM
New Zoysia Sod Fertilization

I transplanted several hundred Zoysia plugs four weeks ago at which time I applied Scotts starter fertilizer (24-24-4). Considering I watered the new plugs every day for a week and then every couple days for the second week, is it ok/necessary/beneficial to apply another round of fertilizer after only four weeks? I want the plugs to spread as quickly as possible while they are still growing. If it is ok to fertilize again, what NPK ratio should I use? Should I use one with quick release nitrogen since I've heard you are not supposed to apply nitrogen to Zoysia this late in the growing season?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-12, 06:02 AM
Group Moderator
Is it warm enough that the grass is still growing?

Old 09-17-12, 07:35 AM
Having plenty of Zoysia here, I would skip feeding the grass and maintain the watering. Zoysia will become dormant soon, with the first cold snap. Feeding it might make it vulnerable to any early freeze while it is not yet well-established. Watering will simply encourage it to do what it does best: grow. My grass responds better to water than to fertilizer.

It will continue to develop roots all winter, so it will spring forth, so to speak, in the spring. Or at least when it's warm enough.

Chris

Old 09-17-12, 01:30 PM
[SUB][/SUB]Yes, the lawn is still growing and I'm in Northern Virginia so it won't be getting below freezing anytime soon. However, I have noticed that my lawn responds better to watering than to fertilizer. I noticed this a few weeks ago when I was watering more than usual because of the new plugs. The overspray from the sprinkler turned the nearby established Zoysia much greener than the remainder of the lawn.

Old 09-18-12, 05:48 AM
Group Moderator
Chris knows zoysia better than I do, I'd just keep watering based on his advice and your results.

Old 09-18-12, 12:59 PM
Chris,

Since the plugs are newly transplanted (4 1/2 weeks now) and they were tranplanted late in the growing season, is there something you recommend putting down before the cold hits that will promote/accelerate root growth?