sprinkler system blow out problem

Old 12-01-12, 10:54 PM
sprinkler system blow out problem

I was blowing out my sprinkler system, using only 40 lbs of pressure. The first 2 zones blew out fine, but then I heard a gurgling sound coming from the piping near where I attached the air hose. The air pressure was releasing from the top of the pipe. The next zones do not pop up... Did I break something?? What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-12, 11:10 PM
Group Moderator
I can't quite figure where you're hearing the water coming from but 40 lbs of pressure should not have burst anything. Your water supply is usually that high and higher.

You may have to dig up that area and see what's gurgling.

Old 12-02-12, 04:38 AM

What's the CFM of the compressor and how big of a tank?

It could be you just don't have the necessary volume of air to clear all the water.

Without big volume.....water can remain in some areas even if air comes out at the end.

That could result in a gurgling sound.

Old 12-02-12, 07:17 AM
it is a 26 gallon tank with 6.1 scfm at 40psi and 4.3 scfm at 90psi. I have used this compressor to blow out the system last year, with no problems. The "gurgling" is not from water nor is it in the ground. It is coming from the piping that comes out of the wall of the house, directly above where I screw in my adapter to attach my compressor hose. There is a valve of some sort with a lock nut screw on top that I removed when I heard the noise. there is something in there (a metal piece of some sort) that is rattling around a bit....

Old 12-02-12, 12:47 PM
Group Moderator
Can you shoot us a picture ?

Old 12-02-12, 03:20 PM
that is your reduced pressure atmospheric vacuum breaker RPAVB, it protects your household water from contamination by the sprinkler system. If you donot have enough volume it will not seal at the top. try turning the down stream valve off and attaching the hose at the bottom petcock and pressure up and open down stream valve again, volume is key here.... it is pressure that forces the poppit up to seal... it is alll for water safety...

Old 01-09-13, 06:34 PM
Name:  2013-01-06_15-56-48_519.jpg
Views: 5952
Size:  30.7 KB

So you are saying I need to increase my pressure into the line? I didn't want to go too high for fear of blowing out something that I shouldn't. (I finally got to adding a picture...)

Old 01-09-13, 10:39 PM
Group Moderator
Just as wanabee described. The black arrow is pointing to where the valve must seal.

I'm wondering why there wasn't a blowout fitting where I drew the red arrow.
When you blow the lines out......close the valve going to the house.

Attached Images