Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Watering reqirements for St. Augustine and Bahia lawns in winter

Old 12-17-12, 12:30 PM

I live in West Central Florida and would like to know if it is necessary to water St. Augustine and Bahia lawns when they go dormant in the winter months. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.....thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-12, 01:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I used to live in east orange county and never saw a need to water my lawn..... and still had to mow it every 5 days or so, 10 months out of the year. It was a mix of Bahia, St Augustine and who knows what.

Old 12-28-12, 10:12 PM
I'm in West Central FL as well , I have a mix of St. Augustine and Bahia , and while I hear Bahia goes dormant, I also heard one time that St A needs a lot of water , that being said I try and put a little drink on the St A. every now and then, I have neighbors who has St. Augustine and the sprinklers on a timer and our yards look about the same.....this year I'm gonna mix in some flortam (sp) so it fills in some spots in the Bahia

Old 01-24-13, 02:42 PM
Dormant turf needs water to keep it from desiccating and it wont show you when like wilt will in the growing season. It will only require about 25% as much and if your getting occasional rains that could suffice but dont think that because its dormant it does not need water. If your in a dry period, water it.