My Lawn is rough and needs a face lift....

Old 02-09-13, 03:11 PM
My Lawn is rough and needs a face lift....

I live in Nashville and have been fighting my lawn with any knowledge that I thought I have. I now need to scrap it and start over but I have never done this and need a step by step game plan.

The area has a bit of morning shade but ample amount of afternoon and mid afternoon sun. Sodding sounds expensive and I would like to approach this in the most cost effective way while also producing results quickly and building a strong foundation. I need help so please give me the step by step!

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-13, 06:19 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

My first step would be to get a soil test done and the second would be to provide more detail here about what's wrong and what you've tried to do about it.

Old 02-11-13, 07:30 AM
If you could, I'd suggest including photos as well of the affected areas.
One of the forum experts might have some suggestions that will work in your areas

Old 02-11-13, 07:31 AM
Thanks Mitch17.

I have overseeded, dethatching, aeration, fertilizers, as well as trimming trees to allow for more sun light to get through. There are a lot of weeds, not sure what type they are. It is very uneven as well and I would like to make it where my 16 month old can walk across it without twisting his ankle the whole time.

Does that help?

Old 02-11-13, 07:39 AM
Group Moderator
How about some pictures, as Mike suggested?
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 02-19-13, 03:16 AM
Thumbs up

Hi

For my point of view, you would contact some landscaping company. He will provide good suggestion to you.

Thanks!

Old 02-19-13, 03:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Kevin, welcome to the DIY forums, where the key words are DIY. We try to help others with their problems so they don't have to consult professionals.

Old 02-19-13, 04:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
so they don't have to consult professionals.
Hey Larry, don't sell yourself short - some of us are professionals although maybe not in this field
I don't know if we have any members that are profession landscapers but we have a lot of pros in other fields

Sod is quicker although seeding is cheaper. Whichever way you go, soil prep is key!

Old 02-19-13, 05:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, I guess I could have worded it better. "Professionals" outside the forum.

Old 02-19-13, 05:38 AM
Group Moderator
I'm not against using a company but I do mean 'use' - have them come out for a season or two and watch what they do and even talk to them; you can learn from them and then be better prepared to tackle this yourself.

Old 02-19-13, 07:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
To give the basic steps, you need to:

- Likely kill everything that's there now. Weed killers work okay, but if the lawn is mostly weeds, you'll want to kill everything using a broad spectrum herbicide or something more natural like covering the area with black plastic for a week or so. The heat trapped under the plastic should sterilize any seeds or seedlings.

- Rototill the whole area. This will break up the soil and is a good time to add soil amendments. Manure or organics. A soil test (like mitch said) is a good way to see how much NPK is required. Most soil test places will tell you how much of what you need to add to get the soil back on track for grass.

- Grade and rake out the whole area.

- Plant seed that's recommended for your area. Either one type of seed, or a mix.

- Water, water, water.

- Continue to monitor the soil and add fertilizer based on what's needed (instead of the spring/summer/fall generic fertilizer)

The main trick is to ensure the grass has everything it needs to grow. As long as the grass has what it needs, it should crowd out most of the weeds.

Old 03-03-13, 11:09 AM
Start with what grasses are the best for your area

So Nashville, transition zone so Zoysia, Bermuda or my favourite Turf Type Fescue
So first what grass do you have in now
When did you overseed, you should aerate and oversow in fall, as it gives your seeds a chance to establish themselves before the winter.
Overseeding will take a few goes to take over a scrappy lawn and establish themselves
Please dont go to HD or Lowes and expect them to know what they are talking about.
The best place to go to evaluate what will grow best for you is here
National Turfgrass Evaluation Program - WELCOME this is the National turfgrass Evaluation Program.
Look for your state or closest to you where they have tested different grass seeds and they rate them for you with a number of different criteria. This is the best way to get the right seed verses some junk HD flogs, it means the right seed for you and your chances of having the best lawn will be alot higher
Do you have in ground irrigation?
That is another factor when it comes to growing a lawn as well
Anyway my 2 cents, the ntep is your best place to start, that way you are seeding the right lawn rather than just throwing your money away