Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Added 4 sprinkler heads and pressure is horrible now... Please help!!!

Old 02-18-13, 06:44 AM

Hi Everyone,

I attached a rough layout of my predicament. I decided to finally take the plunge and add some sprinklers by the road so we can finally start growing grass on the other side of the sidewalk. I managed to tunnel under the sidewalk and hook up 4 new sprinkler heads (purple) with no problem. However, now my pop ups do not have enough pressure and the new ones do just about nothing...

Doing some research, I decided to drop down to 1/2" PVC (from 3/4" on my existing system) on the other side of the sidewalk to help with pressure. The red dots were my existing 4" popups (all on a single zone). I decided to remove the one by the sidewalk and turn it into a flowerbed. In turn, I teed off the connection and went under the sidewalk. The pressure was lousy so I also capped off (at the riser temporarily to see if it helped) the two heads by the fence/house. They were still leaking a bit but still not enough pressure...

What do I do now? Would permanently capping those two heads help? Do I need to separate these into separate zones? I was hoping to avoid digging up my lawn so that's why I removed a few heads and hoped it would just even out... Any advice from the experts?

Thanks in advance!

Name:  new_sprinkler.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  20.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-13, 08:04 AM
...I do want to add that the sprinklers I temporarily capped off are not really watering anything anyway. I plan to turn that area into a rock bed eventually.

Old 02-18-13, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
Did you flush out the new line prior to installing the emitters? I would first check to make sure there is no debris blocking the new sprinklers.

Where and how exactly did you make the transition from 3/4" to 1/2"?