Crabgrass Pre-emergent (Zoysia Plugs)

Old 03-16-13, 09:58 AM
Crabgrass Pre-emergent (Zoysia Plugs)

I planted several hundred Zoysia plugs last August and had problems with crabgrass filling in around the plugs. I'd like to put down a pre-emergent in the next week or so to prevent the crabgrass from coming back. Is there a specific product that is safe to use on newly (less than a year old) plugged lawn? If it makes any difference, the plugs are about 3" cubes and were transplanted from an established area on the side of my home--they aren't the wimpy/delicate 1" plugs you buy online.

Update: I've decided to apply Scotts Halts Crabgrass Preventer (without fertilizer). It doesn't say anything about NOT using it on Zoysia grass so I'm assuming it's ok. It does say not to apply to newly planted sprigs until they are at least 5 months, but mine are plugs (much more substantial) and they've been in the ground for almost 8 months so I think I'll be ok. I'll find out soon enough.

Last edited by mossman; 03-16-13 at 12:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-13, 10:27 AM
I have zero experience with Zoysia or plugged lawns. However, I have used Scotts products for years including pre emergent crabgrass preventers. I have never had a problem, but whenever I have a question about a applying or selecting a Scotts product I go directly to the source. They have always been very helpful.

LINK

Old 03-17-13, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Old 03-17-13, 12:31 PM
I like the idea of using an organic herbicide, but apparently if you don't time the application just right, it ends up fertilizing the weeds. No chance of that happening with Halts. I live in Northern Virginia (zone 7) and the day lillies just started sprouting. Is now the right time?

Old 03-17-13, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
when soil temps get to 50f is the time.

Ill be doing mine in a week or so.