Advice for Strange Backyard

Old 03-24-13, 06:37 PM
Advice for Strange Backyard

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a house a few months ago that needed quite a bit of work. Of course, the yard was also in a state of disorder. It wasn't until recently that I noticed that a portion of my yard (about 45 feet by 20 feet) was covered in gravel. Being naturally curious, I dug up several inches of gravel to find a plastic covering which spans the length of this area by my garage. I'd like to sow grass or something else more attractive than this gravel but I'm not sure how it would work. Is this some sort of drainage pit or something else?

Neunundneunzig

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-13, 06:59 PM
My guess is a previous owner wanted a graveled area to park additional vehicles upon. The plastic was supposed to keep the grass from growing through the gravel.

Scrape as much of the gravel off as possible and then roto-till in some topsoil. The plastic will be torn to shreds by the tiller but otherwise shouldn't be a problem. If you can remove the plastic in fairly large pieces before tilling that would be a plus.

Old 03-25-13, 04:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you do the work by hand - it will be a big job Before I went thru all the work I'd want to make sure I had no use for the extra parking place! All that gravel will have to go somewhere and you might need to bring in more topsoil.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 03-31-13, 02:02 PM
It would be wise to draw up some sort of plan on what you want that space to be. Once you've decided on the purpose or use, you can then draw a rough layout, probably, so you know what goes where. You'll also have to decide if it's more practical to DIY or to have it serviced.