Poly and Water Main Size

Old 03-28-13, 03:39 AM
Poly and Water Main Size

I have some 1 1/4" poly pipe that I've had for several years now that I'm considering using on my garden sprinklers now, the only thing is, I will be needing more pipe and before I run down to the local store I figured I'd ask my friends here.

How can I benefit (if at all) if I have a 1 1/4" poly pipe connected to a 1" main?

As always all postings are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-13, 04:34 AM
Group Moderator
The larger pipe will cut the resistance, giving you better flow at the garden. The longer the run is to the garden the more a larger pipe will help. It probably will not be a huge help but it will help. If doing it new I'd probably go with 1" but since you've already got 1 1/4" there is no harm in sticking with it.

Old 03-28-13, 05:37 AM
The larger pipe will cut the resistance, giving you better flow at the garden. The longer the run is to the garden the more a larger pipe will help. It probably will not be a huge help but it will help. If doing it new I'd probably go with 1" but since you've already got 1 1/4" there is no harm in sticking with it.
Thanks Pilot Dane for your reply.

If I need to add to the existing 1 1/4" that I have and decide to use 1" pipe, should I put the 1 closer to the supply or after the 1 1/4"?

I think they call this OCD.

Old 03-28-13, 06:51 AM
Group Moderator
I would put the larger pipe closer to the main/supply and the smaller out near your garden.