Help With My Lawn

Old 04-08-13, 11:44 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help With My Lawn

I have a home in the woods with 1/2 acre cleared with grass. There is top soil around the house but the rest is not top soil. Yard is pretty spotty with a good amount of weeds. Also as a note, I have a small child and 2 dogs.

1. What should I do and what products should I use to eliminate the weeds and grow grass?

2. And when should I do this?

3. Should I spread seed over the entire yard or spot seed the bare spots, or both?

4. Should I just let the weeds go because it may make my yard too bare looking?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 04-08-13, 12:59 PM
C
How much sun does the part of the yard in question receive? Grass requires many hours of sun to thrive.

Chris

Old 04-08-13, 01:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Is the grass growing ok where you have topsoil? It may be a futile attempt to get grass to grow if there are too many trees and little topsoil

Old 04-08-13, 02:43 PM
N
The center of the yard (no trees) probably gets 8-9 hours in mid summer. The edges under trees probably 6.

Grass grows fine where I have topsoil. The grass just gets damaged here and there from pets, kids, 4 wheelers, automobiles, etc. The grass actually grows where there is no topsoil as well, just not near as thick and nice.

Old 04-08-13, 02:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
You can't expect grass to grow well where it has a limited supply of nutrients. Adding topsoil should help those areas and although there are grass seeds designed for shady areas - they can only do so much. My back yard is only 5' wide but it never gets any sun and every attempt I've made to get grass to grow back there has failed.

Old 04-08-13, 05:40 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 786 Votes on 723 Posts
In your last post you mentioned kids, dogs, 4 wheelers and cars. No wonder you're having trouble getting grass to grow. First keep the ATV's and cars off the lawn. As long as you're driving on it the abuse and soil compaction is really stacking the deck against you. Next, and harder to do is keep the dogs from using the lawn as their bathroom. If they do the piles need to be removed ASAP. Not a week later but sometime that day.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: