2 specific lawn problems

Old 04-08-13, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 specific lawn problems

Hi, I was hoping to get some help on how to fix two problems with my backyard lawn.

1. There is as divot in the grass. It is relatively small, it is about the size of half a grapefruit. It's been there for at least a year (since I moved in) and grass has grown in it, so it looks hidden. The problem is, if you walk on it, you're going to eat dirt. So, I want to fill it in, smooth it out, whatever, but I'm not sure of the lawn-friendly way to do that so I can fill it in and then get grass to grow there.

2. I have a big groundhog type hole in the yard in the back, the opening is about the size of a bowling ball and it tunnels kind of in a downward slope (it doesn't just come straight up from underground). It's seemingly abandoned, as I dug two stakes around it and ran criss-crossing strings across is and it hasn't been disturbed since the middle of last summer. So now my question is, how can I go about collapsing and filling the hole in? It has a big mound of dirt around it on one side, can I just dig that and shovel it down the hole?

Any advice on either would be helpful. I can provide pics if it will help anyone.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-13, 08:24 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
If you don't care how long it takes you can simply add some soil to the smaller hole, maybe a half to three-quarters of an inch. The grass will grow through this dirt with no problem. Once you get a goodly amount of growth add some more soil and keep repeating the process until the ground is level. It might take a year or so to get the results you want. Be sure to tamp the soil down periodically as the grass grows through.

As for the larger hole, what you described will work, just take a bit longer than other methods. If you have a place in the yard where you can "steal" some sod I would fill in the hole and then add the sod.

That's what I would do, others may have a better method.

Old 04-09-13, 04:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Votes on 140 Posts
You could dig up the grass in the divot, add soil and then replace the grass/sod you removed. You could do the same thing with the groundhog tunnel if the sod is in good enough shape to save.