new lawn specific questions

Old 04-09-13, 04:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new lawn specific questions

Hey guys so im a new homeowner built my house last summer. i am completly ignorant about landscaping and lawn care so feel free to talk to me like a child lol. Anyway i got some lawn started last fall in my front yard. Unfortunatley though topsoil is super expensive and just putting some in that front portion of my lawn last summer cost a arm and a leg. So i have some lawn upfront but it is in bad shape i didnt water it enough and the ground is super soft i wanna get this grass THICK up there and get that ground able to walk on. Now for the bad part my back /side yard is sand i was told i could til some fertilizer in there and throw out some seeds and it would grow but i know there is more to it then that like what type of fertilize to use grass and anything additional to get in there. Also this area is slightly shaded. Any advice on these issues would be great

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-13, 04:45 PM
My rule is Water! save your money by not buying topsoil and install a sprinkler system with that money.... guarantees a lawn, you can haul in topsoil and still not have a decent lawn, don't forget to fertilize and if the bag says it will cover up to 5000 sq. ft then it will really only cover 2500 effectively. good luck

Old 04-24-13, 08:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
I have fine, white sand for my soil. I can grow decent grass but it takes a lot of water. Neighbor across the street paid to have 100 yards of top soil brought in before he put in his lawn and it does look better than mine.

Compost application is a good idea with sand, especially if you can create your own (= cheap).

Old 04-26-13, 03:08 PM
It's really tough to grow good Bluegrass on sand which is probably what your neighbor has, but fescues and ryes do very well in watered sand and require much less fertilizer and water, but they lack the deep green color of Blues, but for your buck value the fescues are easy to maintain and durable.