Frozen downspout extension

Old 04-11-13, 02:01 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frozen downspout extension

I have an underground downspout extension (4" PVC) that froze and cracked over the winter. I'll have to dig it up and replace it this Spring. I know that the extension is sloped properly underground away from the house. I also drilled many 1/2 holes in the end of the extension where I have a 90 elbow leading back to the surface with a pop-up for excess water. I drilled these holes just to ensure water wouldn't sit in the downspout extension during the winter eventually cracking the pipe. I assume there weren't enough holes in the end of the extension or the holes got clogged causing water to pool at the end of the extension? Would it be better to have a t at the end of the extension rather than a 90 so that water will drain into say a dry well? I see lots of these buried extensions in my area here in the twin cities - just wondering how they are set-up to avoid freezing and cracking.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-13, 04:08 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
What my parent's did was have their extension go to a small field bed of sorts. Basically it's a hole filled with large rocks, then larger gravel. This was covered (can't remember with what) then backfilled on top. This allows the water plenty of space to travel through the rocks and get obsorbed by the ground.
If you are having issues with freezing, you may also want to consider encasing the pipe with ridgid foam or an insulated sleave that is appropriate for being burried.