Rainbird ESP-6si troubleshooting help

Old 04-17-13, 06:02 PM
Rainbird ESP-6si troubleshooting help

Hey guys, I am trying to figure out why my sprinker controller keeps blowing a fuse. I think i've narrowed it down to only blowing the fuse when trying to operate "zone 5". Now on my controller there is 6 zones hooked up, but in my yard I can only find 5 of the valves that have the solenoid in them. Should there be 6 because I have 6 wires connected to the controller? I would like to find the last one so i can mark it and un-bury it if need be. Is there a way for me to tell what valve/solenoid container actually runs zone 5? I've read I can install new fuse and cut the solenoid wires on what i think is zone 5 and see what happens. Any advice? here is a pic of my controller thats in my garage and you can see there's 6 zones hooked up. The second pic is what I can find 5 of in my yard which i believe each one controlls a certain zone. Still missing one if im thinking right since I have 6 zones connected. All the openings have the same colored wires, they are not color coded like they are in the controller box

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-13, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
That 7 conductor cable should appear in the closest valve box. From there it will probably be broken down into fewer conductor cables. You don't necessarily have 6 active zones because 6 are connected. There may be a spare wire that got connected for future use.

You'll need to fire up one zone at a time to figure out which one is shorted or if one is missing.

Old 04-17-13, 09:47 PM
7 conductor cable? Sorry but I don't know what that is.. and by closest valve box, closest to what? There is 2 more round hatches in the front yard and a large rectangular one all next to each other, but the 2 round ones don't have valves/solenoids like the other 5 do. I am almost certain it's zone 5 that shorts out the system. Just don't know what valve operates zone 5

Old 04-17-13, 09:59 PM
Group Moderator
In your picture is a cable that contains 7 conductors. Six zone wires and a common return (white). The wire leaves the control box and goes outside. Logic dictates that the wire will appear at the closest valve box. By closest.....between the controller and the valve box.

At that valve box....the 7 conductor wiring will branch off into different circuits that go to different valves.

You can check each zone, at the controller, one at a time and figure out which zone is which. Then you can open the valve boxes up and activate each valve manually. Make notes so that you have all this info for future repairs.

Old 04-18-13, 05:30 AM
Group Moderator
To help figure out which valve in your yard controls which zone I would turn one zone on manually at your controller. Then go out in the yard and feel and listen for the valve that has water flowing through it.

If you can't tell by feel or sound which valve controls what you can turn off all your zones. Then at your valves in the yard manually turn on a zone. This is often done by turning the solenoid counter clockwise. Then observe which sprinklers come on. Now you know what valve controls what sprinklers. Then go into the house and manually have the controller turn on a zone. When you see those sprinklers come on then you can reference it to which valve you had to manually actuate for that zone. My three zone system is easy but with your 5 or 6 zones taking notes and drawing sketches would definitely help.

Old 04-18-13, 09:30 PM
well guys, i still couldn't find the missing valve box, it got dark tonight before I could find it... on the plus side I figured out which was #5 that was blowing the fuse... i put in a new solenoid and the problem is solved! I have 3,4,5,6 all marked just have to figure out which ones do zone 1,2. Hopefully this weekend ill have that narrowed down. I will need to purchase new sprinkler heads as I noticed some aren't spraying right, or are damaged.

Old 04-19-13, 05:10 AM
Group Moderator
Good job finding the bad solenoid. You saved a $75 or $100 service call.

Sometimes all a malfunctioning spray head or pop-up needs is a good cleaning.

Old 04-21-13, 03:52 PM
Dane, i realized that! a couple of them I just unscrewed and cleaned the dirt/mud from it and it works just fine now! Thanks for the help