Xeriscaping

Old 04-20-13, 06:51 AM
Xeriscaping

I guess this wouldn't be "lawns", but I didn't know where else to post ;-)

I have a small corner lot with a view of the lake, unfortunately I have no backyard. I am thinking about xeriscaping and enclosing the front yard (the one that has the lake view) with a small hedge row. I am from the deserts of the west where xeriscaping is popular, but now live in the green midwest, so it might look out of place.

Can anyone recommend some nice, easy to take care of, tropical looking shrubbery or plants that would make my "rock garden yard" look less like a desert landscape and more like a beach house?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-13, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator
When I think of beaches, I think of Palm trees and plants.
Here's several on Wikipedia that can withstand cold temperatures:

Hardy palms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-20-13, 09:07 AM
I like palm trees! and anything tropical looking. however, my beach house is on the great lakes. i.e. it's cold (zone 4 or 5). Thanks for the suggestion! If you can think of any other cold weather "tropical" plants...

Old 04-20-13, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
One of the best things might be to take a walk around the lake and take pictures of the natural landscape....those are the things that will easily grow in your area. May not be a tropical beach look exactly... but you aren't in the tropics...lol. I think you might need to adjust your wants to what is a better fit for your area.

I'm sure there may be plants you could pot and move inside or to the garage in winter.....but that sort of defeats the purpose of a low maintenance yard.

I would also contact a Master Gardeners group near you for suggestions. Your local Extension office (affiliated with a major college) will probably have the info you need. Often, garden centers will provide landscaping advice and plans for a nominal fee in the expectation that you will buy from them. I've heard that some landscape planners (when did that become career?) will come look at your actual situation and provide suggestions and guidance for a DIY job...for a fee of course.

Old 04-20-13, 01:08 PM
Thanks gunguy45. Because the area is also swampy, we do have some breed of hibiscus that grows here and some magnolias that are native as well. I'm not trying to decorate with Birds of Paradise or anything I'll look into the landscape architect as well (wishing now i had majored in that rather than business). I was just hoping someone had seen some great idea for a low maintenance, highly greened yard.