Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Muskrats dug under my seawall and dug den under my yard!

Old 04-22-13, 07:34 AM

So the past couple years muskrats have been reaking havoc on my yard. I live in a channel off of a lake. I have a old cement seawall, while a lot of my neighbors have had the steel seawalls put in that go in the ground about 8 feet! So under my yard now has just been getting torn up by these little pests. My front yard has a few small holes, and is zoo very uneven with sink holes and mounds from underneath. I don't know the best approach for this.
I have been thinking of taking the old sea wall out and putting a wall of rocks in and then tearing up the yard to fill in low spots and holes to make it even again. It is so bad it is hard to walk on believe it or not.
How to i fix my yard and and put a new seawall wall in without spending thousands of dollars!? please help!

and i will be eliminating the little muskrat pest too, so i just need to get my yard fixed...

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-13, 08:51 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

It sounds like you have a challenge on your hands.

If the muskrats are digging under your cement seawall then I'm not sure replacing it with rocks is going to stop them either.

Apparently by installing the wall 8' deep in the channel keeps them from digging under.

I don't really have any additional recommendations. Let's see what others add.

Old 04-22-13, 09:10 AM
Welcome to the forum.
First thing I would do is find out what the local building authorities will allow you to install for a sea wall.
The rules around waterways (docking, retaining walls, etc), change fairly often, so what was acceptable in the past for your neighbors, may not be allowed now.