Adding privacy to your yard

Old 04-23-13, 06:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You first have to consider the size of the fully grown plant before using them in landscaping. For instance if someone were to plant cedars that close together, and that close to a driveway, it would behoove the planter to consider cedars will grow to up to 15' diameters, and although give privacy now, will smother each other out and over grow the driveways on both sides to a point where no one can drive past them.

Same thing goes with planting small 1 gallon boxwoods a foot from your house. Duh, they can grow to be rather large and will grow into your siding causing you to have to either trim them drastically or remove them and plant them at a more sane distance from the foundation.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-13, 04:44 AM
Larry pretty much covered what I would have said. The previous owners of my home added cedars to the yard to dress it up for sale. Nearly a quarter of them are dead or almost dead because they where not planted correctly and way too close together.
We'll be going the fense route with our back yard. Not so much for privacy, but to keep the kids (and future dog(s)) in the yard and away from the stream that our propert backs onto.

Old 04-24-13, 04:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Planted cypress in the back of my yard to screen me from the newly developed apartment complex that took away my 12 acres of wood that I used to look onto. Anyway, similar to the before and after pictures, but, I staggered mine. 4' over and 4' up and so on and so on. The stagger has allowed the trees to mature, yet still fully screen the area. The trees just touch and are not consumed by each other.