Getting rid of clover

Old 04-26-13, 10:06 AM
Getting rid of clover

Has anyone used Weed B Gone to control clover in a bluegrass/fescue lawn? The only weed issue I have is invasive clover that spreads a bit more each year. Supposedly Weed B Gone can be sprayed on the lawn and it will eliminate the clover and not harm the grass but I'm a little hesitant to use it since I haven't tried it before.

Any other ideas/products that will kill the clover but not my grass?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-13, 11:19 AM
Group Moderator
I had pretty good luck killing clover with different products, it was one of the easier things I faced. That said, I don't think I ever used Weed B Gone. Been a while since I had any clover in my lawn, I'm not recalling any brand names but I typically just pick something up at the big box store.

Old 04-26-13, 02:00 PM
Timing is the most important thing to eliminate clover, 2-4D will kill it when it is in boot stage in the spring, late june is tough.... weed B gone should kill it if used now...

Old 04-26-13, 03:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
So odd.....I just bought and sowed 3 lbs of clover in my garden. Wouldn't think of getting rid of it, but that's what makes us all different. Can't cut the back yard 'cause the "chickens love the clover", according to queen bee.

Old 04-26-13, 06:06 PM
Group Moderator
Which Weed B Gone product are you considering?

Old 04-26-13, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
2-4D will kill it when it is in boot stage in the spring

gee whiz... thats the main ingredient in Agent orange..... ha, ha.

Anyway you all know I use corn gluten. Works well but timing is the key. With that said I do use a spray for spot treatment. ( even though I am against it) I have tried them all and the only product that works well is the spectricide with crab grass control. Yes it has 2 4 d.... But it has the most .25% then other products at say .12% It works.

My main use is for the dandalions. My chickens dont seem to eat them. As larry states they love the clover.

They do not have a broad leaf organic control product out in a spray yet. Just stuff that kills everything

I try not to support any scotts products.......

I get at the home store.

Spectracide® Weed Stop® for Lawns plus Crabgrass Killer Ready-to-Use

Maybe just get some chickens......

Old 04-27-13, 04:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I also planted clover in my yard. I've long since forgotten the details but it's supposed to enrich the soil.... and since my yard consists of slate rock with a thin covering of soil, anything that makes it green works for me. At one time green paint was an option

Old 04-27-13, 05:08 AM
Clover is a legume, and fixes nitrogen from the air to its roots. The other grasses and plants use that nitrogen as a natural fertilizer. Besides, it's a nice ground cover in the garden.

Old 04-27-13, 05:10 AM
Group Moderator
I had a lawn full of clover once. I just put down some Turf Builder Plus 2 and that took care of it. Be sure to put it down when the grass/clover is wet. Also, fed the lawn as it is fertilizer.

Old 04-27-13, 05:26 AM
Group Moderator
My front yard had no topsoil (scraped off during construction). So, after several attempts at growing fescue with chemical fertilizers I now have clover. The clover has been going for several years and overseeding with fescue which is now starting to take. Apparently mother nature knows how to make topsoil.

Old 04-28-13, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
I know clover helps but I keep my grass pretty long and the darn flowers on the clover make my lawn look bad....

Old 04-28-13, 06:12 PM
Mitch, that's white dutch clover. There are many varieties, some without the ugly little puff balls on them. My back yard is pure deep green in clover and a little grass.

Old 04-29-13, 07:27 AM
Group Moderator
I did not know there were varieties that I might like, I'll have to look more into this.

Thanks, Larry.