"Straw" is overtaking the front of my property.

Old 04-26-13, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"Straw" is overtaking the front of my property.

I've lived in my wooded property for over 40 years. Over the past 5 years or so, a tall grass of some sort (12-15" high) has been increasing along the front of the woods and has overtaken the wildflowers and desirable berry bushes that used to grow there. It dies at the end of summer and then looks like straw and lays down, so weedwacking isn't possible. The ground beneath it is irregular, so mowing isn't an option. I tried to do some removal by hand, but the roots are tough and deep. There's also poison ivy in some places under the straw. New growth is starting to peek through it now. What do I need to do to clean it up so it doesn't grow back? It covers at least 1500 square feet. I don't care about a cultured look or want to plant anything else there. I just want to get rid of that ratty-looking dead stuff permanently to tidy things up. Bringing in some kind of clean fill as the last step would probably be fine, but something needs to be done first. A grass lawn grows between the problem area and the road approximately 20' deep and 400' long parallel to the road. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-13, 01:57 PM
Use Round-up.... kill it and reseed to what ever....

Old 04-26-13, 06:41 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Roundup will kill everything it touches. I suggest that you first contact your county agricultural extension agent and ask his or her opinion.

Old 04-27-13, 05:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
A key is to spray or kill the offending weeds early in the season before they have made the seeds for next year. If you can identify the weed or at least what general type it is there are selective herbicides that might work.

Old 04-27-13, 08:15 AM
Thank you for the comments. I still need to figure out how to get the "straw" out of there. I think I'm gonna need a pro and would like to have an idea of what makes sense. (I have a black thumb and bum wrist.)

Old 04-27-13, 09:02 AM
Group Moderator
Unless you want it removed for appearance sake this season it can be sprayed and left in place. Mother Nature will remove it over time once it's dead.

Old 04-27-13, 09:26 AM
The only reason I'd like to remove it is because of its appearance. I don't want to plant anything in it's place--just use clean fill after it's been dealt with, maybe. It's already dead, except for the new shoots starting to appear here and there, so I'd essentially be spraying dead weeds. My research suggests it might be reed canary grass. I can't mow it due to the irregular ground beneath it and burning is not permitted where I live, so I need to figure out how to get rid of the long, dead stuff before applying anything. If I hire a pro, I'd like to know what I'm looking for. Checking with Cooperative Extension is a good idea.

Old 04-27-13, 01:18 PM
Group Moderator
How about a line trimmer to knock down the dead stuff?

Old 04-28-13, 09:13 AM
A line trimmer (I called it a weedwacker in my original post) isn't an option, since the long, dead grass is laying down and already dead and like straw. That's the stuff I want to remove.