Irrigation and wells

Old 05-09-13, 09:22 AM
Irrigation and wells

I have an irrigation system that is supplied by a shallow jetpump well. The system has run great since I moved into the house 7 years ago, but the last 2 seasons have been a disaster. I've blown 4 pressure switches and basically lost my lawn. Everytime I replace the switch I get everything running again and monitor the pressure, it turns off and on as it should for a while and the next thing I know i wake up to no irragation and a blown pressure switch. I'm sure it is a result of over cycling, but i can't seem to nail down the cause. one thing i am thinking about doing is increasing the size of the pressure tank with the hopes that it will increase the size of the supply and decrease the ammount of time the pump is cycling and running.

Each zone is 4 standard rotating heads - any suggestions on the size of tank i should get or if I even should bother?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-13, 09:46 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

When the pump is supplying a zone..... does it cycle or just run ?

The job of the pressure tank is to keep the pump from cycling but I'm not sure how effective it is in an irrigation system.

Old 05-14-13, 03:18 AM
maybe your water table increased and you have more water available. I would increase the head nozzle sizes until the pump stayed running, that way you will save electricity and your switches. your motor may also be getting bad drawing more current and therefore putting an extra load on your switches...