HELP! My Fence is a MESS

Old 06-02-13, 10:19 AM
Exclamation HELP! My Fence is a MESS

Hello DIYers!

We bought our house about 3 years ago and we battle with our chain link fence every year. We have overgrowth of fines, trees, and different types of vines that come up that attach itself to the fence. Our first year was the WORST because the fence had not been maintained for several years. It took us nearly all summer to clean it out. Second year wasn't so bad because we caught it pretty early and kept on top of it. Third year (this year) we have a pretty big battle on our hands because it's been raining so much! We haven't had a chance to clean it out early this year because of all the rain. We're finally getting to it yesterday and today. While I know, I'm going to have to work hard to get rid of all of the large plants, but once I'm done, there are LOTS of little things left over. Lots of stumps... Lots of vine roots, etc... I want to get rid of ALL of it. I don't want to do this *every* year. We are definitely trying to sell our house too and we are prepping it for a realtor to come look at it and see what we need to do to sell it, but I know the fence is going to be one of their recommendations.

My question: Once we finish getting all the large stuff out of the fence, what can we do to prevent this from happening next year or the rest of the summer? It's a very overwhelming task to have and with my wife being pregnant this year, It's pretty much on all me this year.

PLEASE HELP I'm at my wits end, guys!!

Thanks so much in advanced. I appreciate any help I can receive.

Josh Martin
Southeast Iowa

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-13, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
I don't really have an answer for you yet but in the top picture is that growth all less then a year old ?

Old 06-02-13, 10:25 AM
Yes, that growth is just this year only. We have had *a lot* of rain. We've set records for our area. We are usually in a drought stage by this time of the year. I can't even remember the last year we WEREN'T in a drought.