front yard landscaping

Old 06-05-13, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
front yard landscaping

Just trying to get everyone's opinion. Should I leave this area as is or change it around a bit?

I was thinking of changing it to this. I used some software to see how it would look.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-13, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well....I like dividing them up since one is a tree and the other a lamp. I don't like the plant choice in the 3rd pic. Really dislike the raised border you put in the one near the street.

Re-purpose the excess edgers when you split the large bed and use them around the curb tree.

Keep similar plantings to what you have now. The hosta type plants don't fit your area from what I see. Add some annuals for color.

Old 06-05-13, 06:11 PM
I am concerned about putting down sod in the middle. My son constantly plays near this area. Buy sod at a big box store?

Old 06-05-13, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator
Sod is pretty much sod no matter where you buy it. Big box may go through more, but they also stack it high and leave it in the sun...I'd contact a nursery for the small amount you'd need. Will you be able to match the grass...do you know what is in now?

Maybe some sort of mulch path between the edgers? With a contrasting look to the mulch around the tree/lamp?

Old 06-05-13, 06:46 PM
You mean do that instead of installing sod? I would need a design idea to see what you mean. Like on paper.

Old 06-05-13, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator
Well...that I doubt I can do. Gotta cook dinner and really bad at drawings.

I'll try later...post back and remind me tomorrow if no one else weighs in.

Old 06-05-13, 07:16 PM
I see. Lol. Ttyl and if not thanks anyhow.

Old 06-05-13, 10:34 PM
Instead of sod in the middle what if I add river rock and still do the rings around the tree and lamppost ?

Old 06-06-13, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah..that would work and is kinda what I meant...as long as it contrasts with the edgers and mulch.

Whatever you use...make sue it compacts and locks together...and you'll need to use some sort of steel edging or similar to keep it in place. Last thing you need is to be constantly flinging rocks when you mow.

Old 06-06-13, 09:02 AM
I have kids who play near this area. I can't have sharp edging. The rocks are OK, but I'm leaning towards sod. I just never played any down before and need to find out how to it correctly so it doesn't die over time.

Old 06-06-13, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Putting down sod isn't hard...but normally it's done when you are redoing a whole yard or a smaller separate space, like a side yard or similar. I would think using it for patching would create issues, unless the lawn was initially sodded and you know the brand and type of grass.

Most of the work is soil prep which is very important and daily or even twice daily watering initially.

As I said earlier, if you don't get a good match to your grass you won't be happy with the results.

Just so you know...steel or aluminum edging installed properly is no more of a hazard than the sharp corners of what you have now.

Old 06-06-13, 04:54 PM
I like the idea of 2 rings and river rock in the middle. I just need an idea of how to design the area where the river rock will be. Plus I need to add some type of edging around it.

Old 06-06-13, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
I guess it depends on the size/color of the rock. Color is important. When I think river rock...I thinks smooth fist sized stones.

Old 06-06-13, 05:21 PM

Here is some river rock in my backyard. This same kind of style.

Old 06-06-13, 07:36 PM
Something like this isn't. a bad idea either.

Old 06-06-13, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
True...that looks nice...but it's all plantings. I think I said earlier...I just didn't like the connection of the lamp to the tree. Artificial with natural is hard to make look good IMO.

Old 06-06-13, 07:53 PM
Yes that is true. So what width would you make the rocks in the middle ? What type of edging would fit well there since I would still have the pavers around the tree and lamppost. Should I add some extra pavers around the tree by the street?

Old 06-07-13, 02:32 PM
what is the best type of grass seed to buy for WI climates?

Old 06-07-13, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
If you have extras...I think putting them around the street tree would be good. I'd just keep the radius and distance of the curved ends and re-position the extra edgers to match. See how that works. You can use a garden hose to do a basic layout.

Still think steel or aluminum edging for the rock area would be best...either that or the plastic stuff...but the cheap plastic stuff is junk.

Dunno about grass...I'd check with a local garden center.

Old 06-07-13, 03:44 PM
I would need about 30 bags of rocks which is about $100. Are you saying you would be opposed to river rocks in this area in the middle. I kinda think it would look weird with rock instead of grass there, but if I see it I may change my mind...

Old 06-07-13, 04:03 PM
I still don't know how to design the river rocks in the middle. Nobody else really weighed in. A diagram would really help me.

Old 06-07-13, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Not to scale and pretty small.....

Attached Images  
Old 06-07-13, 04:10 PM
so your saying in the middle would be all river rock. I have 125 sq ft right there which would equal about 15 bags at 1 inch. thoughts?

Old 06-07-13, 04:13 PM
looks nice, but in your opinion wouldn't this still make this area look to big? Or would it make it look more appealing based on the rock and the 2 rings?

Old 06-07-13, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
Like I said...very poor at sketching. The tree rings could be more oval and the center narrower and not bulge out so much. Probably half the area of my sketch.

I didn't say the bed was too big...just that connecting the lamp and the tree seemed wrong to me. And the lack of plantings made the area seem very bare and poorly thought out.

Don't forget landscape fabric under any rock. And you might need to go a bit deeper after removing whats there....2" or so probably.

Thinking about it...you might also consider the paver makers or walk makers...they come in different patterns. Cobblestone/country stone might work well. Quite a lot of work mixing and placing the 'crete...and you need to be a little creative on curves and butting to other surfaces, but results are pretty good. I used them to make a network of paths in my last houses backyard. Something like 96 80lb bags....but you wouldn't need near that much. No edging required to keep them in place...just clean out and level the area..place the form and fill it, vibrate with a sander or tap around with a hammer, let it sit for 20-30 min, remove form and move to the next. You need multiple forms to keep working but they are pretty cheap. You'd need some basic concrete tools and will have to modify the outer edges a bit.

Just a thought...

Old 06-07-13, 05:06 PM
"And the lack of plantings made the area seem very bare and poorly thought out." I like the river rock idea, but that means that I would completely remove the plants that are there now making it very empty looking with just rock in the middle.

Old 06-07-13, 05:18 PM
My other thought was too leave it as it is now, but too make the whole thing into dog bone shape, with the exception of the lamppost ring would be much smaller than the tree ring.

Old 06-07-13, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Add some higher/larger growing perennial stuff equally spaced around the tree and lamp along with some annuals for color. Don't know whether decorative cabbage grows in your area...but that might work.

A garden center (not a big box store) could give better advice.

Old 06-07-13, 05:42 PM
And go with my design idea?

Old 06-09-13, 06:47 AM
The final touches...

Old 06-09-13, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
Much better I think. Didn't see the sidewalk before but now you kind of carry the curve of it into the yard. Can't tell from the pics...did you decide to reseed the area you dug up or is that sod that's just a bit dormant?

Old 06-09-13, 07:40 AM
I reseeded and added straw on top. The grass seed that I bought stated that it covers 600 sq ft. I have about 125 sq ft. After I started putting the seed down I could tell it was going quick and the area wasn't even covered. I used up the entire bag small bag.

Old 06-09-13, 11:49 AM
Put some topsoil around the pavers.

Old 06-11-13, 10:37 PM
Were supposed to get some strong storms with high winds tomorrow afternoon. I still have the straw over the grass seed. what to do if it all blows away?[

Old 06-12-13, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
I never used straw anyway. I normally spread some peat moss after raking the seed in. It helped it stay moist and amended the soil at the same time. Straw was just a PITA to rake off or watch it blow away. Seed needs warm soil, sunlight and water. Esp the water...twice a day for the first week to keep the first inch or so of soil moist til they start to sprout then deeper watering to make the roots grow down deep.

Water in early morning and early afternoon...not as the sun starts going down.

Old 06-12-13, 11:49 AM
Does this straw disintegrate or what happens to it. How long should I wait until removing the straw? What do I do on windy days. I keep the straw wet so hopefully it won't blow away.

Old 06-12-13, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Well, there are different ideas about using straw at all, letting it decompose or raking it off. You would have to be very careful removing it until the seeds get well rooted. It won't decompose quickly I don't imagine, so the seedlings have to sort of fight their way around it. It will also be kind of hard to mow when it's time with the straw in place so you'll have to remove some of it when that time comes.

I've not seen straw used on any new construction or by professional landscapers.

Can't really help you on the wind thing...I'd just pick up and throw away the stuff that blows off.

Just do what works for you and try not to damages the seedlings.

Old 06-12-13, 05:14 PM
What worries me is that were supposed to get high winds this evening. Hope the straw stays

Old 06-22-13, 08:46 AM
How long should I wait before adding more grass seed to the spots that have no grass? It's been 2 weeks. The grass is coming in rather nice, but it's just not coming in everywhere.

Attached Images   
Old 06-22-13, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
I'd go ahead and CAREFULLY remove the remaining straw and add some more seed. Anything that was going to sprout should have by now. Remember..seed should be lightly raked in to the soil about 1/4". If you need to use a hand tool on your knees, then thats what you need to do. Seed just sitting on the surface won't do much.