Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Sprinkler zone leaking hours after sprinkler was shut off.....

Old 06-13-13, 12:51 PM

We purchased a home that has a sprinkler system with 11 zones. Yesterday evening I tried out a couple of the zones, one in front, and one in back, to see if the sprinkler control was working properly since it had been unplugged since we purchased the house. I manually ran each of the zones for two minutes and then shut everything down but nearly 20 hours later the zone in the backyard is still leaking (looks like mini drinking fountains) water out of the top of each sprinkler head. These are rotor type heads that have a hole built in for this, I assume, but I'm wondering why it's still leaking this much water long after the sprinklers have been shut off. The front zone, which is at the bottom of a hill on my lawn stopped after I shut off the water main and didn't leak anymore after I turned it back on but the backyard zone is leaking a crazy amount of water. I've located the sprinkler boxes and fiddled around but nothing seems to be stopping the leak. Any ideas / solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-13, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

The problem sounds like a sticking control valve. What type (brand) of system do you have ?

Most control valves have a manual activation lever on them so you can open the valve without power. Opening and closing the valve manually may cure the problem. If not it may have to be replaced. With 11 zones the biggest problem you may have is trying to identify which valve is causing the problem. You may be able to go into the main control unit and see what color wire they used for that particular zone.

In the mean time you can shut off the main water supply valve to keep from getting flooded out.