Splitting a zone/installing a new valve help.

Old 06-18-13, 05:50 PM
Splitting a zone/installing a new valve help.

Working at my mom's house. The system was installed in 2002. The zone I'm working on is the front lawns and has 21 Toro Series 570 sprinklers. Over half of the heads don't pop up, even after being replaced. I intend to split it into two zones, with the new zone being for the lawn on the right in the pic.

My original plan was to cut out the existing manifold, add the new valve and patch the manifold back in. However, when I dug it out, this is what I found.

Any suggestions? Here are a few more pics to show more detail.

Also, any suggestions on how to find the existing crossover pipe between the two lawns? I looked at the corner closest to to manifold, and it wasn't there.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-13, 08:33 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

The 570 heads require 1.29 - 3.26 GPM @ 30 PSI dependent on pattern. So 21 on a zone would appear to be too many. A zone split sounds like it should help.

I'm not sure where your pictures are.

Old 06-19-13, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
That pipe that travels thru your valve farm scares me...... be careful of it in case it's gas.

The crossover pipe is under the sidewalk. Where exactly I couldn't say. Since the zone starts at your valve location which is right in front of the house.... my guess is the crossover under the sidewalk may be down by the street.

You would need to add an additional valve to that manifold in order to split the front lawn into two zones. Do you have a spare zone wire to that location where the the three valves are ?

Do you know which of those three valves controls the front yard now ?
(either turn it on manually or look at the color of the wiring)

Old 06-19-13, 07:58 PM
Yes, there are spare wires and opening on the controller. Currently the middle valve is the lawns. I searched today for the crossover with out any success. Will try again tomorrow, and will start closer to the street. I don't know if that pipe is gas or is the fire sprinkler supply. My recollection of it before we did the remodel is the gas line is about where the rusted iron pipe with the red handle is just at the end of the manifold.

What I'm thinking about doing now it cutting back the conduit that the main comes through in, so I can access the main before the first T fitting. I will cut the main there. I think if I install a T just past the other metal pipe, it will just clear to go straight up to feed the grey pipe. That will give me room to install the new valve where the existing patchwork of pvc is that currently connects to the grey pipe.

So, is the grey pipe used when your are transitioning from pvc to metal?

I intend to remove the manifold and completely rebuild it. I want to raise it up, and install a filter above grade, just below the valve for the drip system and then raise the other valves to the same height as the drip valve. I want to put the pressure regulator just below the filter. How does that sound?