Natural fence, bamboo vs hedge?

Old 06-19-13, 07:33 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Natural fence, bamboo vs hedge?

I need to close in my yard, it would look so nice, but fencing simply costs WAY too much for me to afford it any time in the forseeable future.....so I've come to ask about some natural alternatives.

What do you all think about bamboo vs hedging for a natural barrier and can you recommend species of each for what I'm looking for? My yard is a small lot, probably about 150x180ft, it would just be to enclose the back yard so it's more private.

What are the benefits/disadvantages to each? Thanks!

Old 06-19-13, 09:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Most bamboo species are extremely invasive. I will take persistent vigilance forever to keep most bamboos contained and prevent it from taking over your yard. There are ways to contain it and reduce the maintenance requirements but it is probably more expensive than a fence.

You did not provide a location so it's difficult to recommend anything in particular that you could plant as an inexpensive hedge. Here in NC I just go out and dig up small cedar trees. When small they survive transplanting well and in a few years start to form a nice hedge for no cost except the labor to find them and dig them up.

Old 06-19-13, 11:18 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sorry, south Louisiana is where I'm at. I just want some really inexpensive (but decent looking) way to have some privacy in my back yard.

Old 06-19-13, 12:30 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Cheapest is if you can find a native (grows in the wild) plant that you think would make a nice hedge. Here in NC holly's & cedar tolerate pruning well, can be trained into a dense hedge and are green year round. And best of all they grow wild and can be found on power line right of ways and in the forest so there is not much that is cheaper.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: