3' trunk locust............40' hi

Old 06-23-13, 12:33 PM
3' trunk locust............40' hi

I took it out last fall 3' around;... 40' tall, Now i have used potting soil.....scotts bagged soil starter fertilizer..And grass that was guaranteed to grow.......on the bag. scotts also. It has grown.....but not over the trunk,,... and its large cut off roots.We cut this trunk down!.......... to what i though would work--far as grass growing. 5" maybe,.. below the grass line...it didn't! any ideas? on this problem.??please contact me if you will bob s

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-13, 12:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm going out on a limb, here. What are you talking about? Are you trying to get grass to grow on a downed black locust tree trunk? Give a little more detail.

Old 06-23-13, 01:58 PM
Locust Tree

Did you cut down a locust tree and grind out the stump 5 inches below grade? Please clarify the situation for us.

Old 06-23-13, 02:32 PM
Ken, I see where you are going. Thanks for that clarification. I picture a 40' tree trunk laying across the lawn.

Old 06-24-13, 06:19 AM
Description

Yes, Larry, I was about to think the same thing.

A clear description of the situation would sure help.

Old 06-24-13, 09:12 AM
Group Moderator
Maybe he's trying to get grass to grow atop the stump 40' in the air. It's the only reason I can think the height is important enough to mention it twice.

But seriously... If your grass seed germinated in the over dig area but not right on top of the old stump I wonder if it's a moisture problem. Maybe the thin layer of soil over the stump is quickly drying out. 5" is quite thin to keep grass growing. It won't affect the seed from germinating but you may have to water it very frequently to keep it growing through the summer heat.

Old 06-24-13, 12:32 PM
Stump

If indeed a stump grinder was used, most of the material in the stump cavity will be wood chips rather than soil. Grass will not grow well in wood chips.

Old 06-28-13, 01:06 PM
40' locust removed from yard!

I am sorry i wasn't to clear my mind races ahead of my mouth occasionally. here goes i have a stump that is left after we cut down a locust tree last fall.......its just a plane old locust from what i know about them ...no black to it i am trying to get grass[new} to grow over this stump, we ground it out+all the big roots above ground that were showing approx 5" The grass is trying to grow[guaranteed to grow] over the main part of that tree stump..there isn't a lot of dirt 3' maybe in some spots. They say the grass will not grow over that stump for sometime to come Has anyone got any positive ideas on this, i am still waiting. hope this post made better sense. The tree is cut up +GONE if you need more let me know.The wood chips were mostly picked up.

The tree is GONE just the stump ...besides who would try and grow grass on top of a 40' tall stump stump is big at 3'across in dia.

As far as watering this lawn..It has poured every day here for almost going on three weeks grass isn't dry thats for sure. +i watered it too.

Old 06-28-13, 01:46 PM
The tree is GONE just the stump
I had thought so, but your mentioning the height led me to believe it was an important part of the equation. Basically it was more information than we needed.

Old 06-28-13, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
Were the stump grindings removed and the area filled with topsoil? Ground wood, though organic is not great for growing grass.

Old 06-29-13, 06:26 AM
Yes!to both questions bob s