Bleached Grass

Old 06-25-13, 05:09 PM
Bleached Grass

If this has already been discussed, then someone can refer me to the thread. Sunday I sat some shower doors out to clean. I placed the glass panes on my grass and left them. When I returned later to finish the job, I noticed my bermuda had bleached. I say bleached, because the color is a light tan but not brown. The grass looks good except discolored. I thought about putting down some fertilizer (may light nitrogen) and ironide. But it was suggested I wait to see if the color attempts to come back itself. Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-13, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Lots of water will be best....and since bleach is a base chemical...a light mix of a mild acid (like dilute vinegar) rinsed in with the water will help neutralize it.

It will probably come back. You didn't actually bleach the color...you damaged the plant.

Old 06-25-13, 05:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, wait for it to grow out, unlike gray hair, it should return to it's original color.

Old 06-25-13, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
My wifes gray hair returns to normal about every 2 months.....

Old 06-25-13, 07:29 PM
Sorry should have been more clear. The grass was bleached by the sum magnified through the glass. I didn't want to say burned but maybe that's better. I am watering the spots (6'x18" rectangle shaped).

Old 06-26-13, 03:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I know what you are talking about, I've washed the car and left the mats on the grass too long

I've never done anything to correct it other than give it extra water. Nature does a good job of correcting it in a few days time, all evidence should be gone within a week

Old 06-26-13, 04:34 AM
Thanks markrs, I have left something on the grass that shaded an area in the past. But in this case, it did not get too much shade, it received too much sun. Since the glass was quasi transparent it acted like a magnifying glass. I am watering the area to see if that works. I am hoping like you that nature takes its course.

Old 06-26-13, 04:50 AM
Group Moderator
A flat pane of glass does not magnify the sun but it does trap heat underneath. I think the grass was cooked not bleached. The glass also cuts off the free flow of air which further harms the grass. Basically anything on grass is bad. How bad depends on the temperature and how long it's covered. In the winter when grass is dormant and temperatures are low you could go weeks without damage but in summer even a piece of glass or clear plastic could harm the grass in an hour. Sit in a car in the sun with the windows closed and see how you feel after just a few minutes.

Old 06-26-13, 04:54 AM
I guess cooked it would be the best word to use. I was told that I may have to sod the area damaged, but I am going to wait and see. Unfortunately the windows were in the yard for hours.

Old 06-26-13, 05:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sit in a car in the sun with the windows closed and see how you feel after just a few minutes.
Actually that feels pretty good on my old bones/joints - least ways from the neck down

I agree with PD that it was heat, not magnified sunlight. Grass is pretty resilient so it should come back on it's own, the more severe the damage, the longer it will take.

Old 06-26-13, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, the grass was baked. Live and learn I guess. It's the sort of thing you do once and never forget.

This will also sometimes happen if you leave an aluminum ladder or plank laying in the grass in the summer. If you don't mind the way it looks for a month or so, do what the others said and water it a lot. If you want immediate results, use sod. But then you might possibly get a patch of a slightly different grass variety.

Old 06-26-13, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Old 07-05-13, 12:39 PM
Just an update. Without doing anything other than overwatering the baked area, the grass has started to green up. Thanks for if anything, reminding me of the need for patience.